Digital Music Rising; CDs On The Way Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I have not purchased a CD since I was 19, some 10 years ago. Digital music is just so much more convenient and awesome, even if the quality is sometimes quite inferior. I love my rockboxed Sansa E280R too! Best MP3 player ever ;)

buckiller

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Hmm.. I have bought about $15 worth of digital music and the rest in CDs (guesstimate $250) majority used CDs. You know why? CDs are so much cheaper than digital and you get the hardcopy/"collectors value."

Maybe if digital's cost got slashed by 75% I might buy more. Or if there was a better distribution model (sell you the album jacket with a blank CD and code to go download a high-fidelity version AND mp3)

audioee

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
I have not bought one cent worth of digital download music. I always question the quality. I only use iTunes and Amazon to preview a CD and if I like the rest of the disc I buy it. Then I get to choose how I listen to my music and what format and compression to use if any. I will most likely be buying my first PMP for myself when the ZuneHD arrives.

dechy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
You're kidding right? CDs are ANYTHING but cheap. I can STILL count on a single hand the number of CDs that I bought in the past that had enough tracks on it that I liked to warrant paying the price tag. Not to mention the number of CDs that were utterly destroyed by pets, kids, or just long term exposure in car (and no, not directly to sunlight).

You want tracks to be 25 cents?? CDs sell for like 10$, that's about 9 tracks taxes in. When was the last time anyone here bought a CD and they liked over 9 tracks on the CD??

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I haven't purchased a CD in 6+ years. Why would I spent $14 on a CD that has two or three songs I'll listen to when I can get those two or three songs for $2-$3.

buckiller

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
[citation][nom]dechy[/nom]You're kidding right? CDs are ANYTHING but cheap. I can STILL count on a single hand the number of CDs that I bought in the past that had enough tracks on it that I liked to warrant paying the price tag. Not to mention the number of CDs that were utterly destroyed by pets, kids, or just long term exposure in car (and no, not directly to sunlight).You want tracks to be 25 cents?? CDs sell for like 10$, that's about 9 tracks taxes in. When was the last time anyone here bought a CD and they liked over 9 tracks on the CD??[/citation]

I buy a CD for no more than $8 (if you include shipping) unless its a brand new must have CD from a favorite band (only one favorite band is still alive)

I have about 40, $250 worth, CDs. A modest collection for sure, but compare it to my digital purchases. Choose any of the 40 CDs from my collection and I would be happy to listen to it a few times through without skipping a single track. The CDs I buy are because I like the band and the album. The $15 I've spent on digital are the must have singles or whatever that I dont already have. None of my CDs have been destroyed, I keep them in a CD rack at home or in a CD book in the car.

I would be happy with tracks being maybe about $.50. A digital track just doesn't have the same cost or value as a CD track. It's lower quality and a hell of a lot cheaper to sell (no CD to burn onto, no need to work with stores to distribute, to physical delivery needed, etc.)

And once again, every CD I have I like the vast majority of the tracks.

audioee

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
dechy,

The last two Green Day albums, Silversun Pickups - Swoon, Tool - 10,000 Days, Dido - Safe Trip Home, John Fogerty - The Long Road Home Concert. There are others I can't think of right now.

There are some good complete albums out there.

joeman42

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Yikes! I remember when CDs did this to vinyl. Back then, I would buy an LP once a week (they were real cheap ~$4) and swap/tape friends albums like baseball cards. This was the era when 10 million copies sold were not uncommon because of this "piracy." Then, in the mid 80's, the record companies got greedy and jacked up the prices to $12 for CDs that were 75% cheaper to make than vinyl. I stopped trading but I also stopped buying (1 cd/yr since). That's why the record companies have been slowly dying and there are so few new artists appearing every year. By focusing on minimizing their costs, (i.e., fewer artists at highest possible sale price) instead of maximizing sales (many artists, low price, highest possible volume) the labels set themselves up to fail. Hopefully, this transition can restore the balance for new bands and music to re-emerge.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
When digital music is of the same QUALITY as a CD, then i'll be joining the bandwagon too. Codecs are getting better, but I can still tell the difference between CD and MP3.

But until then, i'll stick with uncompressed, unfiltered and unmodified CD and DVD music.

strangestranger

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
I love me some cd's. Whether you can hear it or not I like having a high quality source.

Also a hard copy is nice. Oddly enough I use steam and hardly even buy games in disc form but music is different, long live the physical media.

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I'll stick with CD's. Better sound quality than the compressed formats such as MP3 or itunes. Even if you have uncompressed digital media on a hard drive it tends to degrade slightly over time. Factory pressed CD's are much more stable.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]dechy[/nom]You're kidding right? CDs are ANYTHING but cheap. I can STILL count on a single hand the number of CDs that I bought in the past that had enough tracks on it that I liked to warrant paying the price tag. Not to mention the number of CDs that were utterly destroyed by pets, kids, or just long term exposure in car (and no, not directly to sunlight).You want tracks to be 25 cents?? CDs sell for like 10$, that's about 9 tracks taxes in. When was the last time anyone here bought a CD and they liked over 9 tracks on the CD??[/citation]

Pre-RIAA extortion, I used to buy CDs - but mainly through used sources. There is something about finding a treasure you enjoy in a bin of junk. I only bought albums I know I enjoy new (usually via friends who had them).

While you may knock all the tracks on a CD (yes, some of them really suck), it is one way explore new music. Also, taking a gamble on a $2 used CD is another good way.

I guess my concern with digital music is how people find their music - do they buy what they hear on the radio? What sounded cool in an advertisement? Only what their friends are listening to? Would you ever buy a $0.99 song just for the heck of it to see if you like it?

My other concern is what do I own when I buy digitally - do I get to migrate it to my new computer or mp3 player? Am I locked into only using specific licensed devices? Can the company come in and revoke my license and delete my file? Of course, with the RIAA claiming that they are unsure that ripping CDs is legal, it was another reason for me to avoid music.

So where do I get my music now? I don't listen to much any more - but on the rare occasions I do, I go see local bands and then pick up a copy of their home-burned CDs that they sell if I like the music. Otherwise, I tune in Wisconsin Public Radio, tune in the classical radio station, or pick up a book and read.

belezeebub

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I have NEVER purchased a song from ITunes and I NEVER WILL I own all my CD's nearly 1300 of them all Ripp'ed to FLAC & MP3 on the first day of purchase stored on my archive drive and the CD's are boxed up and never played I always burn my own MP3 mix Cd's and Job's and Woz can KMA I don't own any Apple Items I don't run any apple Software and I like it just fine that way. I have a 120Gb Empeg unit in my Truck loaded with about 22k tracks I am happy as a clam just the way I am.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]thepetey[/nom]did they actually need to make a study to prove this?!! like wow.[/citation]
haha no doubt... this study was completed by Captain Obvious.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]audioee[/nom]dechy, The last two Green Day albums, Silversun Pickups - Swoon, Tool - 10,000 Days, Dido - Safe Trip Home, John Fogerty - The Long Road Home Concert. There are others I can't think of right now.There are some good complete albums out there.[/citation]
It's called discography... search it in a torrent tracker. ive got 100's of gigs of music.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
i have no intention of ever just owning digital copies of music and films.
NO WAY EVER !!!!
i will buy physical films,music,and books.
and i never buy any music from any RIAA LABELS/BANDS and most films i buy are used as i hate the MPAA as well.

cmmcnamara

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
I prefer to purchase CDs for the artwork as well as the quality. MP3's are convenient for on the go when your MP3 player space is limited but at home with my 2 1TB hard drives, I expect the highest quality I get.

Status
Not open for further replies.