Direct-X11 laptop

loonyjuice

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
I'm looking at a new laptop and I've no idea what to go for or what to avoid. I can spend about £1k and would prefer to have directx 11, if poss, for some light gaming :) Any ideas?

loonyjuice

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Hey, thanks for your reply.

Here goes:

1_What is your budget? - £1000

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? - No real preference, as long as it's portable and doesn't get uncomfortably hot.

3_What screen resolution do you want? - Full HD, no more, no less.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable replacement

5_How much battery life do you need? Don't care, it will usually be plugged in as a habit from my current laptop, which only last 20 minutes from a full charge :(

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? - As long as Civ5 runs, when it comes out, I'll be happy

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) Maybe watching movies, but only when away from home

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? 250GB is plenty, I've got 4TB in a desktop, in RAID10 for backup

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

This is all I've seen for DirectX 11 so far... Sounds good, but not sure about the case or how durable it will be. It's £850 which is comfortably within budget

http://whatlaptop.techradar.com/reviews/new_reviews/mesh-edge-dx-review+21+01+10

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? My current one, which I'm using now, has lasted for 6 years (and runs linux/windows 7 fine), but it's got a intermittent screen fault and a partially corrupt harddisk. My gf dropped it :( It's still usable, but any excuse to get a new one I suppose...

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD would be fine, Bluray ROM nice if it's not much extra

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Not sure, my current laptop is an Evesham, and they don't exist anymore, so I'd prefer someone who's a bit more established. My experiences with Dell have left me disappointed with their durability. After 6 years, my screen is still tight (no slack) when erected!

13_What country do you live in? England

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
You can't blind me with jargon and I'm a linux veteran.

The Mesh Edge DX you linked would fit the bill pretty well, just isn't a full HD screen. The reviewers seemed to like the build quality, indicating that it was fairly sturdy. It's mostly plastics though so that might be something to watch for.

As far DX 11 goes, only ATI make DX11 compatible laptop graphics cards at the moment. You want to look for anything from the ATI Radeon HD 5000 series.

Do you have any reputable online retailers I could look at? I'm from the US so I don't know what's available in the UK.

loonyjuice

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Mmm, it says that it is full hd, i.e. 1920x1080, am I missing something?

I'm aware only ati have mobile directx 11 gpu's, although I'm unimpressed with nvidia's latest offerings, so that's not a problem.

I just did a google for "uk laptop retailer" and you get the obvious comet/pcworld/dixons (it's all the same company) and personally, to be avoided. Also saw this, it's a bit more than my budget, but I'm just about to read the review... What's the opinion on acer?

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_8942G_Laptop_LX.PLU02.011/version.asp

You are correct. I've looked at so many laptops for people today that they are all starting to look the same :crazy:

I'm not a huge fan of Acer laptops. To me they feel cheep and low quality. That one has decent specs though.