Direct2Drive Refusing to Sell Modern Warfare 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Wow, and i was hoping because they had the customer in mind. LOL. Anyway, I for one like Steam. Just have to keep an eye on them.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
I was about to get all excited that a retailer was taking a stance against all the shit they did to the pc version of MW2, and refuse to sell it. Instead it is just complaining agaist steam.

Sad times

papalarge123

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
i personally like steam, and if valve want to keep there own offshute company steam, then that is up to them.
as for this reason i believe they are just being pathetic.

Transmaniacon

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
Heh yea I was hoping Direct2Drive was taking our side, that kind of commercial support might have made IW think twice about their decisions...

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
[citation][nom]theuerkorn[/nom]Wow, and i was hoping because they had the customer in mind. LOL. Anyway, I for one like Steam. Just have to keep an eye on them.[/citation]

You like Steam? I mean, do not get me wrong, I use Steam to purchase some games. My problem is the fact that Steam believes that it has the right to tell customers they cannot resale their games. That is wrong on so many fronts and the Autodesk case proved that the customer owns the software they pay for.

It is this reason alone that I do not purchase more expensive titles through Steam. If Steam would accept the fact that we own what we(customers) pay for, then I would be open to purchase all of my games through them.

MrHectorEric

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
It makes sense since Steam is a competitor in online distribution. They don't want to sell a game that forces the customer to use a competing company's software and would then encourage the user to buy through Steam next time.

G

I love steam, but just like everything else that has grown large, big business is put in the forefront and eventually it rots. Especially in PC gaming where your audience is generally more educated about whats going on. We can only hope and pray steam doesn't lose its central focus towards its customers in favor of more dollars.

leetoranges

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
What if they were supporting our outcrys to IW by not selling the game lol, I dont know, but i never really liked digital download games.

MoUsE-WiZ

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
gamersgate released Torchlight with SecuROM as the DRM just a few days ago I think... since when is SecuROM not a trojan horse?

Don't get me wrong, I agree with their stance, but I'm not sure how many people they're fooling with their reasons ~_~

liquidblue

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Not like I was going to buy the game anyways. No dedicated server support, no console... just to name a few examples. Why should I have to dish out 60 bucks to purchase a game when these features come standard with other FPS games.

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Great move I think!

It's just a logic move.
If you sale "MW2", you'll lose your next sale over "Steam" because the user'll buy it on "Steam".

Like Apple products. You're STUCK with iStore where Apple make all sale.

If you sale "MW2", you'll bankrupt someday because you'll unable to have sale over "Steam".

So you can REFUSE to sell some popular product because this one will cause you to "bankrupt". So I think it's great move!

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Question is can I opt out of the Steam install? If not, can I remove steam from the system and still have the game function? I have no issues with Valve and their Steam software. However there are points to be made here. There is nothing wrong with Steam, I just believe that is should be the consumers choice as to have it installed on their systems. Not that there will be a whole lot of PC versions sold.

joshthor

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
wow. i would have supported em for not choosing to sell it cause iw is bitch slapping thier customers but if they are just doing it cause of steam its lame.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
I like Steam as well, however, this seems to be rather shady business practices. Infinity Ward are just some crazy nutters aren't they? Won't be buying MW2, and I know most PC gamers won't either, this is probably going to turn out to be the biggest flop of the year PC wise. I doubt even many people will end up pirating this piece of trash.

Sure it'll sell well on the consoles, but they don't know what it's like to have decent ping, no auto aim, massive battles, and etc.

burfordg

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
[citation][nom]montezuma[/nom]You like Steam? I mean, do not get me wrong, I use Steam to purchase some games. My problem is the fact that Steam believes that it has the right to tell customers they cannot resale their games. That is wrong on so many fronts and the Autodesk case proved that the customer owns the software they pay for.It is this reason alone that I do not purchase more expensive titles through Steam. If Steam would accept the fact that we own what we(customers) pay for, then I would be open to purchase all of my games through them.[/citation]
@montezuma: as it stands, no one can resell PC games. Impulse won't, D2D 2 won't, GameStop won't, Best Buy won't, no one will. The only place you can resell PC games is on ebay or in local classifieds.

Companies don't like selling games that people can rip and return, and that's a lot harder with console games. It's not about Valve being jerks, it's about them being good businessmen.

burfordg

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
[citation][nom]ominous prime[/nom]I like Steam as well, however, this seems to be rather shady business practices. Infinity Ward are just some crazy nutters aren't they? Won't be buying MW2, and I know most PC gamers won't either, this is probably going to turn out to be the biggest flop of the year PC wise. I doubt even many people will end up pirating this piece of trash.Sure it'll sell well on the consoles, but they don't know what it's like to have decent ping, no auto aim, massive battles, and etc.[/citation]

I doubt it's going to be a huge flop. It's still a CoD game, and... um, what exactly is there to complain about, other than the lack of dedicated servers? Oh yeah, the price point. Never mind that the thing's been hugely preordered for PC and all that.

Valve isn't being shady; you need the storefront to work for practically any platform. I dunno about D2D, but Impulse has its storefront in the same program as the game launcher, and GFWL is nothing BUT a storefront from what I can tell.

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
So D2D wont be selling MW2 because of a ideological difference.Wow,just wow,talk about pissing money away,I wouldnt want thier accountant anywhere near mine.I really dont see a problem with bundeling steam with the game .I mean they did it for Orange Box AND you needed it to run in order to play,no one was bitching then,hell thats what got me into Steam in the first place.The fact you cant sell stuff you buy to me personally it would be a nice feature but its not a deal breaker,dont get me wrong i wish i could sell my copy of The Last Remnant right now,but then again no one would buy it.I like the convienence to carry my games (and settings in some cases)where I go.

Despite my previous statement though im not getting this game,$60 for a standard edition PC game?Cmon this whole damn thing is a Activision money grab.

Status
Not open for further replies.