Disable HP DV6 dedicated graphics card from the system permanently

Apr 11, 2018
Hi everyone,

I have a HP DV6-6b13es laptop which dedicated graphics card, an AMD HD 6770m, is fried and the system basically freezes if it tries to use it. I solved this problem by disabling and uninstalling the graphics card in windows 10, but I can't enable updates because windows is trying to reinstall the graphics card almost instantly.

I want to sell the laptop using only the intel integrated graphics card because the person that wants it doesn't need the dedicated graphics card to work, but I can't take the risk of re-enabling the dead graphics card because it will result in a system freeze.

Is there a way of disabling permanently the dedicated graphics card from the system? I want the graphics card to be undetectable to windows and use only the integrated intel graphics, disabling any possibility of re-enabling it and crashing.

Solution
Actually there is a way to permanently hide any single driver from installing on any build of Windows 10--this would only work because AMD quit updating drivers for that card back in 2015. If they ever update them again, or the owner updates to a newer build of Windows 10, then the driver will be installed again.

Go to KB3073930 and download Microsoft's own Wushowhide tool. Run it, and under Advanced untick the box marked "Apply repairs automatically." When it's done, click Hide Updates, then tick the checkbox for the driver you want never installed. You should see the "Troubleshooting has completed" dialog when done.

After that, then go disable it in Device Manager. This should give them at least 6 months of...
there is no permanent way of doing so unless u want to go to hardware level and remove the chip =p.only way is to disable the card from device manager and reminding the guy who bought it not to renable the card or install any driver for the card if he wish to reformat/clean install.

BFG-9000

Respectable
Sep 17, 2016
Actually there is a way to permanently hide any single driver from installing on any build of Windows 10--this would only work because AMD quit updating drivers for that card back in 2015. If they ever update them again, or the owner updates to a newer build of Windows 10, then the driver will be installed again.

Go to KB3073930 and download Microsoft's own Wushowhide tool. Run it, and under Advanced untick the box marked "Apply repairs automatically." When it's done, click Hide Updates, then tick the checkbox for the driver you want never installed. You should see the "Troubleshooting has completed" dialog when done.

After that, then go disable it in Device Manager. This should give them at least 6 months of trouble-free operation, and any failure after that would be definitely associated with the newer build of Windows.

Otherwise you have to lift the solder from at least a few legs of the GPU, which is difficult to do if it's BGA. For that, you can try cutting power traces, or use a hot air station to pull off the chip package entirely as mentioned, then make sure solder hasn't bridged anything that's left. Or you could simply use pliers to crush the die, but that could be risky!

Solution