Disk at 100% Usage

akaflaze

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
HI, i recently received a used Lenovo Y-40 on Ebay. It looks and feels perfect except when i go to task manager, the Disk is very sensitive and can jump to 100% easily making the laptop very frustrating to use. I have googled this issue and have tried
-malwarebyes to check for viruses
-disabling windows search and superfetch
-disk defragged
-manually setting virtual memory paging files
is there anything else i can try or is this a faulty hard drive? It came with a 500gb 8gb ssd sshd.
It has a 25gb partitioned D drive where all the Lenovo drivers are, i am not sure if that has anything to do with it. I notice that when i go to performance in the task manager, it says Disk 0(C: D) where on my desktop it would show Disk 0(C), Disk 1(D) etc.
Any help is appreciated, Thanks

Solution
100% disk usage is not a problem.
If an applications wants to load from disk, the disk usage will go to 100% while it loads.
This simply means the drive is being read at the maximum speed possible, which is what you would want.

When you see disk usage between 0% and 100%, it means that disk reads are only small or that the speed is limited by something else (e.g. reading from one disk and writing to a slower disk).
When disk usage is above 100%, it means multiple processes are trying to access the disk and requests are being queued. If it stays above 100% for extended periods of time, this is where you have a problem.

Where you see disk 0 ( C: D: ) in various tools, this is because this is one physical disk with two partitions. If you...

VincentP

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
100% disk usage is not a problem.
If an applications wants to load from disk, the disk usage will go to 100% while it loads.
This simply means the drive is being read at the maximum speed possible, which is what you would want.

When you see disk usage between 0% and 100%, it means that disk reads are only small or that the speed is limited by something else (e.g. reading from one disk and writing to a slower disk).
When disk usage is above 100%, it means multiple processes are trying to access the disk and requests are being queued. If it stays above 100% for extended periods of time, this is where you have a problem.

Where you see disk 0 ( C: D: ) in various tools, this is because this is one physical disk with two partitions. If you try to read from both partitions at the same time, you are reading off the one physical device.

Solution
with any pc make sure you have free ram. with a laptop some of the system ram is used for video chipset. if your running windows 32 bit and 4g of ram at most the system has 3.2g of system ram to load the os and programs. if you can use crusial memory advisoor see if the lasptop can run 8g of ram and see if you have an empty ram slot. for 50.00 the ram upgrade will help if the laptop does not need to use the hard drive for swapping.

USAFRet

Illustrious
HI, i recently received a used Lenovo Y-40 on Ebay. It looks and feels perfect except when i go to task manager, the Disk is very sensitive and can jump to 100% easily making the laptop very frustrating to use.

For any used PC, your first action should be to wipe and reinstall the OS.
For your protection as well as theirs.

akaflaze

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
Yes, it has been at 100% for a while now and the laptop is very slow despite CPU and memory being low. Also, I assume it has been wiped when i received the laptop because there were tons of bloatware and lenovo apps installed and no personal files stored on it.

VincentP

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013

In the processes tab in task manager, show processes from all users.
Select columns and show all the "I/O' columns available.
You can sort on these columns and which processes are accessing the disk.