Disney Buys LucasFilm for $4 Billion, Plans Star Wars Ep. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

santfu

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
This is going from sad to comedy. From greedo shooting "at" han first, to the horror prequels and now this.

Star wars now for your pre-teens. Thanks for killing a great story.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Hopefully Disney releases unedited versions of Star Wars on Blu-ray. It would be nice to see Star Wars they where when they first came out in theater and not version's with all the post 1997 edits.

G

Personally for myself i was looking forward to seeing what happens after "return of the Jedi" when i first saw Star Wars in theaters back in 1999.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Star Wars reminds me of the Terminator Franchise except Terminator started sucking after T2 when James Cameron left. George Lucas has to take much of the blame for Star Wars.

it would be something if Disney paid Cameron a shit load of money to direct the next star Wars movies.

limogeas

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
Anyone else now wishing Joss Whedon had not committed to The Avengers 2? That's the only way i'd feel good about it at this point, but Disney has done quite well with the Marvel acquisition and managing those franchises, so I'll reserve judgement for now.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]fonzy[/nom]Star Wars reminds me of the Terminator Franchise except Terminator started sucking after T2 when James Cameron left. George Lucas has to take much of the blame for Star Wars.it would be something if Disney paid Cameron a shit load of money to direct the next star Wars movies.[/citation]it is not like he did any great job in the 1,2,3 starwars anyway. I hope Disney actually find a decent director like brad bird or Nolan to do this franchise.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Say what you want but at least there is some hope Disney will do good movies taking advantage of even better effects, new characters, plots, actors or directors. But to expect another "Luke I'm your father" moment may be to much to ask.

Bean007

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
So I wonder if his X-Wife still gets a percentage from LucasFilms cause they were still married when the company was made and it was part of the divorce.

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
[citation][nom]shafe88[/nom]Hopefully Disney releases unedited versions of Star Wars on Blu-ray. It would be nice to see Star Wars they where when they first came out in theater and not version's with all the post 1997 edits.[/citation]
I think you can feel secure in the knowledge that the profit-machine (Disney) will be milking Star Wars for every red cent possible. Theatrical releases on Bluray would definitely be awesome. Hopefully there's other worthwhile tidbits from the rest of the crap they'll surely put out.

However, if they try to "reboot" the whole series, there will be no end to the number of babies I'll punch in the face.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
They forgot to mention this:
"In 2015, we're planning to release Star Wars Episode 7 – the first feature film under the "Disney-Lucasfilm" brand. That will be followed by Episodes 8 and 9 – and our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years."

G

"But to expect another "Luke I'm your father" moment may be to much to ask."

Nah, now it'll be more like "Luke I'm your gay, crossdressing father, Please accept me."

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I guess it is now time for any true fan to play taps. Any thing that Disney buys it gets sterilized of any true creativaty and originality while being pumped full of subliminal messages.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
As much as Lucas is trying to make himself sound noble for "helping the next generation", I think there is a much simpler reasoning behind this. Lucas is getting old and doesn't care anymore. He wants to get as much money as possible before he dies. He let Star Wars rest for decades and closely gaurded the namesake until deciding suddenly to dust it off and start ruining it for profit. He hasn't had any artistic integrity for years. Disney can't possibly do any worse.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]santfu[/nom]This is going from sad to comedy. From greedo shooting "at" han first, to the horror prequels and now this.Star wars now for your pre-teens. Thanks for killing a great story.[/citation]

knights of the old republic
comics
novles
extended universe...

look at all that and tell me that starwars cant put out a good story anymore.
george lucas is to blame for ep 1-3, apparently nobody told him no on those movies, if he is out of the picture, its possible to go to a different time, and a new story and have a great film...

at the very least, it cant be worse than the ep 1-3

also... look at star wars when it came out... it was MADE to SELL TOYS, it was ALWAYS for KIDS AND TEENS, it just hit a far larger audience at the time.

[citation][nom]shafe88[/nom]Hopefully Disney releases unedited versions of Star Wars on Blu-ray. It would be nice to see Star Wars they where when they first came out in theater and not version's with all the post 1997 edits.[/citation]

not just a non edited version, put out a bluray where you can select the version you want to see, not because the 1997 version is better, but because we shouldn't sweep the mistake under the rug either... hell maybe they will submit the original into the film archive... something george wouldn't let happen because we wanted to submit the edited version and they wouldn't take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.