Question Display artifact on right side of screen, disappears when exerting minimal manual pressure on screen

Oct 27, 2019
Hey friends,

I am having a problem with my laptop display :(. A whole rectangular area on the right side of the screen gets fubar, seemingly randomly, whenever the screen feels like it doesn't like the angle it is in at that moment. But, the good news for me is that this nightmare can be made to disappear completely by exerting just a tiny little bit of manual pressure on the upper left edge of the screen, for example, as shown in the video I've made:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH8J893P_GE
Also, the area of the artifact seems to show duplicates of other parts of the screen, as can also be seen in the video.

I already tried to disconnect and then reconnect the display cable, at least the end that is plugged into the display itself, but that didn't help. (The other end of the display cable is buried deep inside the laptop, and to open it I would need a special screwdriver (TORX) which I do not own at this moment.

Please, can you tell me what this is, why this happened in the first place, and which part of my laptop I have to replace to make it great again?

My laptop is a HP ZBook G2.

Thanks for you help.

PS: Yes, I have already tried to turn it off and on again...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Syed0331 Laptop Tech Support 2
P Laptop Tech Support 3
Pokz Laptop Tech Support 1
miluti Laptop Tech Support 3
saurabhaggarwal Laptop Tech Support 3
R Laptop Tech Support 2
Fonyaesss Laptop Tech Support 2
blaze5059 Laptop Tech Support 0
A Laptop Tech Support 14
Andrusky Laptop Tech Support 0
A Laptop Tech Support 0