Display shows nothing

Shrugg

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016
My dell studio 1745 running Windows 10 was setting idly with the display turned off. I pressed the power button to turn it back on (I actually just need to move the mouse or press any button to turn it on, but I pressed the power button for some reason.)

After pressing that, the display's backlight turned on but nothing came up on the display. No desktop, no graphics. Nothing. So I forced a shutdown by holding the power button.

I sat and watched it turn on but saw nothing. I didn't hear the hard drive's clicking or the fans running. I did hear the Windows tune when it loads, but still nothing on the display. Actually, I did see the screen flicker a solid blue, with A 1/4" portion of the screen being unlit, then a one column of pixels being lit with that blue. Then my entire display will show the Windows 7 login screen blue, then I hear the Windows tune when it loads, and the display shows nothing again.

I -can- login by typing my password, but I can't see any change in my display; just the backlight. However, when I press ctrl+alt+del, i am able to get to the menu with the options to switch users, log out, open task manager, etc. When I mouseover the power icon and the accessibility icon in the lower right hand corner, the display will flicker (backlight always on throughout all of this), and the little tooltip/dialog box that labels the icons will appear. When I press 'cancel', that menu closes and for a brief moment I can see my desktop, but then it vanishes and I'm left with only the backlight.

Also throughout all of this, all system sounds work. Keyboard input obviously works. Mouse works. USB ports work.

Thanow for the help!

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- First is to do a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it up again.
- If the same problem will persist, do try booting it in Safe Mode.
- Here's how to load the laptop in Safe Mode from your login screen.
- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ph/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode
- Once loaded in Safe Mode do run System Restore and restore it to an earlier date or time.
- Here's how to run System Restore: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ph/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options
- If all these will not work I would suggest reinstalling Windows 10.