• Check out all the best Amazon Prime Day deals 2021 here!

Display working but not showing anything

Sketchbo0k

Estimable
Oct 25, 2014
Hello, I bought an MSI Ghost about 3 days ago. It was working perfectly until today. I was going to shut it down last night but it said that there were updates. I left it to update and went ti sleep. Woke up today, tried to power it on, everything works but the display doesn't show anything. The display is working because when I press Fn and the up or down arrow the brightness can be controlled but it doesn't show anything. When i leave it to hibernate and then reopen it it sometimes flickers the desktop only if I dim the brightness to the lowest settings. What's wrong with it? Should I send it back and get a replacement or is this a virus issue or software/hardware?

PCIBUSDRIVER

Estimable
Oct 22, 2014
first of all, nice rig! now for your issue, unplug it, Pull the battery, put it back together, then try it. If no video at post (Logo at boot) then that's not related to the updates. Let us know how this goes. (im thinking its asleep, hibernate, or simply locked up)

PCIBUSDRIVER

Estimable
Oct 22, 2014
Not good (Im scared its a hardware fail) ,
Connect an external monitor, test it with that, you may have to use the FN key and the associated key to switch the video output. Reboot with the external connected, see if you get anything from it.

Sketchbo0k

Estimable
Oct 25, 2014

Actually I found the problem. I shook the screen a bit and it started flickering the desktop. So I'm guessing this is a wiring problem, no? I am taking it to a store tomorrow so they could see what's wrong witnth the wiring. It's definitely not the motherboard/cpu because I can see the desktop flcikering and it works perfectly. Looks like there are some loose wires.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 2
C Laptop Tech Support 0
rogue79 Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 1
Santiago.t Laptop Tech Support 6
L Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1
harethalm222 Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 2