Displayport to HDMI only works on TV after being connected to different TV first

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcunningha1

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
Hello everyone, I have been having a strange and extremely frustrating problem with my laptop. I've done a lot of searching and haven't been able to find a solution.

My laptop is an HP Elitebook 8760w with Nvidia Quadro K4000M graphics card running Windows 10. I have it connected to a Samsung KS8000 TV via a (passive) displayport-to-HDMI adapter with an HDMI cable going from the adapter to the TV. The displayport on the laptop is D++.

This worked fine for a period of time and then suddenly stopped working. Strangely, if I unplug the HDMI cable from the TV and plug it back in, the TV actually recognizes that it has been plugged in and auto-switches to the HDMI input that it has been plugged into, but after a few seconds the TV says that there is no signal. The laptop also can't detect a second monitor hooked up to it.

First I tried swapping out HDMI cables but that didn't work, so I thought that maybe the displayport-to-HDMI adapter had gone bad. I ordered an Amazon basics displayport-to-HDMI cable and tried it, but that didn't work either. I tried unplugging the TV for 10 minutes, updating GPU drivers, changing back and forth between "extend" and "duplicate" monitors, switching HDMI inputs, doing a factory reset on the TV, etc. Everything I could think of or find from searching the internet but nothing worked.

Here is where it gets weird. I thought that maybe the displayport on the laptop itself was bad and I've also had issues with the One Connect box on the TV, so I tried hooking it up to my other TV, a TCL P607. It worked instantly on that TV with no issues using either the adapter or the cord. I then connected the laptop back to the Samsung TV and it instantly worked there too. Problem solved? Nope.

The next day I turn on the laptop connected to the Samsung and it doesn't work. I connect it to the TCL TV again and it works. I connect it back to the Samsung TV again and it works there now too. I connect it back to the TCL, still no problem. Then I turn off the laptop and turn it back on while still connected to the TCL - now it won't connect to the TCL.

So basically, the issue is that the computer will not reconnect to either of my TVs after being rebooted. As soon as the laptop is shut off and then restarted, it will no longer connect to whichever TV it was last connected to unless I connect it to the other TV and then back to the first one again. It doesn't matter which TV it is. It's like plugging it into the other TV is resetting something on the laptop that then allows it to communicate with the other TV again, but I have no idea what. Any ideas?

Solution
Update: I finally found a (jury-rigged) solution. If I close the laptop lid, let the computer go to sleep and then wake the computer up using the wireless keyboard, it connects to the TV. Every time, right away, no problems at all. I've spent probably 12-15 hours trying everything under the sun and that's the only thing I've found that works. It's really ridiculous that Microsoft can't/doesn't fix these things.

tcunningha1

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
Update: I finally found a (jury-rigged) solution. If I close the laptop lid, let the computer go to sleep and then wake the computer up using the wireless keyboard, it connects to the TV. Every time, right away, no problems at all. I've spent probably 12-15 hours trying everything under the sun and that's the only thing I've found that works. It's really ridiculous that Microsoft can't/doesn't fix these things.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.