News DIY smart home: Why I’m using smart switches instead of smart lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2021
I agree that switches are cheaper and more user friendly. I never understood requiring family and guests to change habits to use smart bulbs. Putting tape over a switch so nobody accidentally turns off the smart bulb? Smart homes are supposed to make our lives easier. I actually use both and use Home Assistant for control. That way the switch can turn on any light. I tied the Load to the Line so the bulb is always on. It's more expensive to use both, but it works best for me. I even have dimming working, where the bulb follows the switch state. Love Home Assistant!

Feb 21, 2021
I also found that using both smart switches and smart lights is the best solution. I was fine using Alexa and my smart phone to control the lights, but my wife pushed back about the complexity and how remembering the names of things or rooms to turn on or off via Alexa was too much. By putting battery powered smart switches in each room she now has the familiar switch in the familiar place to manage the lights. More expensive, but if you are trying to make it actually work for everyone you probably need both smart lights and switches.

Hal-Jordan

Honorable
Jun 3, 2017
The smart bulbs I use (from Feit Electric) go off when you turn off a dumb wall switch. When you turn the switch back on, they come on at 100% intensity and the color is white, no matter what color/intensity they were set for when you turned them off. If someone accidentally turns off the switch, the light will still work when you turn the switch back on. So there's the manual control. No need to put tape on the switch.

SaleB

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2012
I also use Home Assistant, but for the reason that I do not have to use an individual app for every type of equipment, and also because most of those independant apps use the internet and some server and some api somewhere to work. With HA everything works with and without internet and if I really need outside access to my system I can eable it or disable it when needed.
I use a combination of store bought smart switches, self made switches, smart electronics and self made modules that smartify older devices.
But, yes, I would concur that the best solution is a combination of various solutions that makes a system fully unique.

Feb 22, 2021
"Smartswitches" is often used to refer to both actual switches and the more common dimmers. SmartBulbs can be used, with some limitations, with smart switches, but cannot be used with smart dimmers (the PWM dimming control wreaks havoc with the microcomputer/microprocessor power supply inside all smart bulbs).

I would suggest that you elaborate further on the type of communications used by smartswitches/smart dimmers. Consumers may think Wi-Fi is the only choice, while savvy smarthome buyers know that Philips Hue uses Zigbee and other more hobbyist friendly brands use Z-Wave.

There are pros and cons to all of these wireless protocols, but don't overlook the vendor specific (aka "proprietary") alternatives. The most popular include Insteon (dual mode - both line carrier and RF) and Lutron (433Mhz RF).

I've tried them all and for both technical and business reasons have found Lutron to be far superior. Lutron is rock-solid, does not have the unreliability of Wi-Fi, and the lower frequency band used provides much greater range and reach than other wireless methods. Lutron has chosen to play with everyone and is certified for Apple HomeKit, Google Home, Amazon Alexa and has an API that has been incorporated into most hobbyist/DIY systems including Home Assistant, Hubitat, Smartings, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.