Review DJI Neo review: The little drone that could

Giroro

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2015
To anyone in the US considering buying this drone, please be aware it is not Remote ID compliant, which makes the footage you shoot with it literally worthless. You cannot register a drone without Remote ID, so you can't legally fly it for commercial reasons, even if you are licensed. "Sponsored content" and Monetized content (including reviews) both count as commercial reasons.

If you post videos shot with this drone in the US to a blog or social media with the hopes it could make money someday, you would be subject to extremely strict fines. That $200 price tag is going to be a lot more expensive when you're in federal court, trying to defend yourself against a 5-figure citation.
Part 107 rules are a dystopian nightmare, and they get worse every single year. You are not prepared to deal with what it takes to legally post drone footage in the US.

Props to Tom's for at least bothering to shoot in the UK. I didn't know their particular rules, but I'll assume this kind of content is legal there. But there still should be some disclosure that many potential customers in the US will be ignorantly committing federal crime from the first time they take the drone outside to record a 10 second tiktok. The prices are being listed in USD, after all.

And to all the US based outlets and influencers giving this thing similar pre-release coverage, most if not all of whom are directly sponsored by DJI: Shame on them, and shame on DJI. They're posting in smug defiance of the law, and encouraging their viewers/readers to do the same. I hope the FAA acts fast against this product, and enforces the law without mercy.

USAFRet

Illustrious
To anyone in the US considering buying this drone, please be aware it is not Remote ID compliant, which makes the footage you shoot with it literally worthless. You cannot register a drone without Remote ID, so you can't legally fly it for commercial reasons, even if you are licensed. "Sponsored content" and Monetized content (including reviews) both count as commercial reasons.

If you post videos shot with this drone in the US to a blog or social media with the hopes it could make money someday, you would be subject to extremely strict fines. That $200 price tag is going to be a lot more expensive when you're in federal court, trying to defend yourself against a 5-figure citation.
Part 107 rules are a dystopian nightmare, and they get worse every single year. You are not prepared to deal with what it takes to legally post drone footage in the US.

Props to Tom's for at least bothering to shoot in the UK. I didn't know their particular rules, but I'll assume this kind of content is legal there. But there still should be some disclosure that many potential customers in the US will be ignorantly committing federal crime from the first time they take the drone outside to record a 10 second tiktok. The prices are being listed in USD, after all.

And to all the US based outlets and influencers giving this thing similar pre-release coverage, most if not all of whom are directly sponsored by DJI: Shame on them, and shame on DJI. They're posting in smug defiance of the law, and encouraging their viewers/readers to do the same. I hope the FAA acts fast against this product, and enforces the law without mercy.
Add-on RemoteID modules are are widely available for under $75.
https://www.amazon.com/Ruko-Compliant-Identification-Broadcast-Regulation/dp/B0CYCBCZ9Q
https://www.amazon.com/Holy-Stone-Compliant-Identification-Regulation/dp/B0CGTTNJXL

I have one installed for my pre RID HolyStone HS720E.
Sticky Velcro, weighs a couple of ounces.
Fully registered with the FAA.