DNS Provision Pulled From SOPA, Protect IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjsfnkwl

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
This is not a victory at all. The victory will be when all SOPA and PIPA initiatives are dropped, and things continue on as they are now. In my opinion, the internet is at the height of it's existence, and has never been better. The government needs to just leave it alone, and accept that piracy is what it is. No matter how you slice it, it's not the end of the world that giant corporations are losing like 0.001% of their profits as a result of piracy. If people are pirating instead of buying, it's the company's own fault that they're doing something wrong (**Crysis 2**).

Stop trying to fix what isn't broken! LEAVE PIRACY ALONE. We get that piracy isn't good, per se, for companies, but the alternative is screwing up the internet as we know it. Just suck it up. The United States government is incapable of making an act that will stop piracy and not screw up the internet, so just DON'T TRY.

TL;DR The internet is fine how it is stop trying to change it.

erunion

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Fonzy nailed it. They will pull out a few bits of the bill to cool of the criticism and make sure it gets passed. But as soon as it is passed they will reintroduced all those same provisions in a new bill and we'll start all over; and keep losing ground to the internet censors.

G

This elections season,they haven't got a chance to pass.So, it's you guys should be careful to vote(I'm not an American)

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Any form of SOPA that could possibly do anything about piracy will kill the internet. Any form of SOPA that won't hurt the internet will not affect piracy. There is no changes that will make it work. It's cementing the door shut so burglars cant get in. You also cant get out. You have to leave a doorway open and secure it with other means.

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
i hope so... the uk tried passing a similar bill but it didnt even get a debate. it was left till the last minute and slipped in with out the house looking at it... peter mandelson basically made a law where you are guilty even if you can prove your innocent... if your ip gets spoofed your still guilty because you didnt secure it. yes that kind of law...
thing is, it may have snuck in via the back door (typical mandelson tactic. he loves the back door ;) ) but no isp is actually using it or upholding it because they know just how damaging a bill like that can be... after all if you ban your customers your quickly going to run out of subscribers. (take note BT,VODA,BSKYB)... (you gotta admire virgins brass balls, they sell there net on the premise you can download 7 700mb films, b4 there traffic management kicks in. there basically saying we know your gonna pirate films and this is how many you can get per session... tssk tssk tssk...)

every 1 that has the net in there home should contact there local mp(uk) and house reps/ state goveners (America) and demand this kind of bill be dropped or you dont vote for em next time round...
if enough people do it they will have no option but to adhere to public opinion...
remember sometimes the little guy can pick a fight and win... especially if he brings a gun to a knife fight ;)

Pawessum16

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
Getting to the core of why it is Congress' responsibility to protect against piracy, is the little fact that it is built into the US Constitution. Article 1, Section 8 states that Congress shall have power..."To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;" That right there is the ideal our Congress is trying to uphold. The problem of course is that we have a clash of 18th century ideals with 21st century realities. In the modern world, copyright infringement comes largely from those seeking personal enjoyment or glory. Back in the day of our forefathers copyright infringement would have come largely from those seeking monetary profit. Besides, how do we define "useful Arts"?
I think to understand the full scale of this situation we need to take a little history lesson to see what our forefathers meant. We've all lived in a world where creative works are protected by law, but I wonder, what is a world without the protection of creative works like? I know I've never been taught such a thing even in college history classes.
In the end, what these acts boil down to is, do we wish to protect 18th century ideals, and continue protecting the profits of crappy mainstream music artists, and George Lucus, or continue on our path of free information?
Do we protect the profits of others, or the spread of knowledge for the greater good of humanity?

Pawessum16

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
[citation][nom]pawessum16[/nom]Getting to the core of why it is Congress' responsibility to protect against piracy, is the little fact that it is ...the spread of knowledge for the greater good of humanity?[/citation]
On another note, protecting artistry from personal enjoyment is not an ideal I believe in. I believe that artistry should be protected from a) monetary gain of those that aren't the creator and b) plagiarism. Artistry should NOT be protected from a person seeking enjoyment for themselves or their friends.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]fonzy[/nom]Yeah pulled for now until it's passed and then they will find a way to put it back in. Fcuk SOPA all of it.[/citation]

You are sadly correct. If SOPA is dismantled and divided up into several bills the uproar against those bills will not be nearly as great. It would be much easier for them to slowly do it in small increments. SOPA was too large of a push and thus received a giant push back.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
But I like the internet as it is. If SOPA passes, it will make me sad. Do you want to make me sad? :,(
The reason I fell in love with the internet when I was little was because it was a chaotic playground for those who saw fit to play. If the internet was only email and facebook when I first booted up and dialed, I would have gone and played sports or something boring like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS