Solved! Do 4K TVs actually have native 120hz refresh rates? And if so, what's the point?

Welve

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Hey All,
I have read so much about refresh rate from so many sources and I am so confused.

What I know:
  • 4K has two native refresh rates 60 hz/120 hz
  • TVs are commonly branded as 120, 240 etc, usually have half of their advertised refresh rates
  • TVs have HDMI 2.0a as the standard connection
  • Max frames from 2.0a is 60hz
  • Passthrough for surround sound systems is often advertised as 60 frames per second, but now there is eARC (what is this)

My question is if the input on the TV is maxed at 60 hz and the passthrough is maxed at 60 hz, what is the purpose of the TVs having a native 120 hz refresh rate? OR do they not actually have 120 hz refresh rate, but rather some form of interpolation?

Solution
Yes they have some form of interpolation/processing. One of the things you pay for in more expensive sets is better video processing. You can't even tell from the specs what the actual refresh rate of the panel is.
HMDI 2.1 will allow for 120hz content.
eARC has nothing to do with video at all. It allows newer TVs to output lossless audio codecs like Dolby TrueHD and Atmos over the same HDMI cable that connected an AVR or soundbar. The older ARC would not output these higher data rate codecs.
Yes they have some form of interpolation/processing. One of the things you pay for in more expensive sets is better video processing. You can't even tell from the specs what the actual refresh rate of the panel is.
HMDI 2.1 will allow for 120hz content.
eARC has nothing to do with video at all. It allows newer TVs to output lossless audio codecs like Dolby TrueHD and Atmos over the same HDMI cable that connected an AVR or soundbar. The older ARC would not output these higher data rate codecs.

Solution