Do 4K TV's run at 1440 and 1080 for gaming?

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
When I had my first 1080 TV, it would support 720 and 480 based on what I plugged in, and it still made everything look way more awesome on my previous TVs. I understand native resolution means the maximum resolution, i.e. the resolution is was meant to be used in, but I often hear people say, games and movies will look like crap on a 4K if not in its native resolution, yet in my minimal experience, my TV's and Monitors did just fine doing any resolution under native as long as it was 16:9. My native QHD monitor, it looks like a normal 1080 screen when I lower the resolution, and if I force QHD+, I do notice less detail but its still looks fine.

I was wondering if these 4KTV's are made to do 1080 or 1440, or just any other 16:9 resolutions, or does everything just get upscaled to 4K?!? And if you choose one of those options, does the TV still fit the screen without making it 4k?!?

Like if a Steam Machine/HTPC like device was plugged in a monitor it could run at 1440, what would happen if plugged into a 4KTV?!? I was assuming it just does what it would do with a console, and just upscale the 1080 to 2160, except the graphics card doesn't really have a set resolution, or does it?!?

xFeaRDom

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
When you use it, if you're using it for a computer, you can always edit the resolution in 'Screen Resolution' so it will run it. So yes, it does allow lower resolutions.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010

Sweet, yeah I'm looking at getting a 4K for awhile now, but originally was just gonna be for movies, but realized you needed 4K gear. I figured since I don't want One S or PS4 Pro, if I did get one, I could just use my little LAN box on it. I guess I should have known people just talking crap on internet, people probably didn't even have a new TV.