Do I need 3G (UMTS) ?

bruce20

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy a new smart phone. Here are the models in consideration.
1). Sony Xperia J
2). Sony Xperia Sola
3). Sony Xperia U

I really like "Xperia J" & "Xperia Sola", but just realized they both don't have 3G (UMTS). But I actually don't know what is 3G (UMTS).

Please tell Waht is 3G (UMTS)?
Do I really need 3G (UMTS)?

My uses will include phone calls, internet, a lot of Skype calls & email etc.

Thanks.

tigerg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
If you are going to use your phone for anything besides phone calls and text messages, you need to have a data connection.

If you want to do anything with regards to internet surfing, skype calls, or check emails, you will need to have a data connection.

The minimum data connection you would want is a 3G connection. The UMTS variety of 3G is among the more basic versions. If possible you want a HSPA+ 3G network. But even that is old technology. If you are wanting to skype, you really might consider a 4G LTE phone. They are the latest networks and the way of the future. Until something else comes along.

bruce20

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Thanks.

I guess 4G phones will be beyond my budget. But I think I was mistaken about the above models are not 3G.

I just checked the Sony Xperia features on http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-j/specifications/

And it says for 3G.

Networks:
GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900
UMTS HSPA 850 (Band V), 1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I) Americas
UMTS HSPA 900 (Band VIII), 2100 (Band I) Global except Americas

I'm not an expert, so don't understand the terms above, but please confirm that Xperia J supports HSPA & it will work normal. I'm from Asia.

Thanks.