Do I need a dedicated sound card to power gaming headset around $150?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

snake8

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
I am looking at purchasing a new gaming headset around $100-$150. In my research, I have been reading that some people say that you need a dedicated sound card to adequately power headsets in this price range and some people that the onboard audio is good enough. I have a newer pc from this year (2018).

Most of the posts I read are older so I am wondering in the onboard sound is good enough to power gaming headsets in this price range. Thank you.

Solution
you can do this,

right click on your recording device, there should be a tab that says listen...than a box you can check that says Listen to this device.
click it...and now you can hear yourself. i had normally plug things in the back because my front port didn't work. i did once had an issue with my mic not working at all but it turn out to be a driver issue...aka Window 10 and my Realtek driver was out of date. now it is also possible that you could have gotten a defeated mic which amazon will replace with zero issue.

xraulb

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017

we you able to get it working?

if anything use the back of the motherboard for your audio/mic rather than the front.

snake8

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
I will try your discord suggestion. When I right click on the volume icon in the bottom right, the Recording Devices doesn't show up. I have to go to 'Sounds' and then get to it that way. I noticed that the one I want is called 'Realtek HD audio' microphone and I did set it to default. I have not tried using the ports on the back of the motherboard yet. I have my external speakers connected back there so will I be able to plug the mic/headphone back there?

xraulb

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017

i tend to place my Mic connection back there because in most cases it its better isolated, not to worry about it though keep it at the front just gets the setting right. Discord have noise suppression setting that removes those static noises but that does affect audio quality. that is why i simple move it over to my external sound card.

snake8

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
I plan to use the headphones/mic with games like Fortnite and PUBG and will use the ingame audio, so will your discord settings have no meaning for me? I don't remember having this much trouble setting up a mic before, but this is Windows 10 we are talking about. It's also possible that I may have never set up a mic like the v-moda boompro correctly as most headsets I have had were one piece, all-in-one's.

xraulb

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017

there should be no different at all. all i did was plug it in and just made sure i pick the right Recording setting. it works like any other headset you ever used. did you always use the front audio ports?

xraulb

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017
you can do this,

right click on your recording device, there should be a tab that says listen...than a box you can check that says Listen to this device.
click it...and now you can hear yourself. i had normally plug things in the back because my front port didn't work. i did once had an issue with my mic not working at all but it turn out to be a driver issue...aka Window 10 and my Realtek driver was out of date. now it is also possible that you could have gotten a defeated mic which amazon will replace with zero issue.

Solution