Do I need a sound card for my gaming headset?

Kman2639

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016
Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting a good pair of headphones for gaming and thinking about getting the Hyper X Cloud. The Cloud 2 isn't worth the surround sound obviously so I chose the original version. I have a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 motherboard. Is it worth getting a sound card like an asus version or will it be just as good if connected to this specific motherboard. Taking all suggestions, thank you.

Solution
Well they are 60ohms so your onboard sound card should be plenty to power them. If you want great sound quality I would recommend a different pair of headphones before I recommend a sound card. I have heard okay things about the hyper x cloud but if you get away from the "gaming" branded headphones there are certainly better options in that price range of course they wont come with a mic but you could always add a mod mic or something.

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014
Well they are 60ohms so your onboard sound card should be plenty to power them. If you want great sound quality I would recommend a different pair of headphones before I recommend a sound card. I have heard okay things about the hyper x cloud but if you get away from the "gaming" branded headphones there are certainly better options in that price range of course they wont come with a mic but you could always add a mod mic or something.

Solution

Kman2639

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016
I would love to find the best directional headphones for FPS gaming. I'm into CSGO, battlefield, and Arma 3 so it really is beneficial when it comes down to directional hearing. If you have any good headphones in mind, throw them down and I will check it out. Thank you