Do I need a soundcard?

Denganim20

Prominent
Jun 29, 2017
So guys are sound cards still relevant in 2018? If I have a mobo like a GIGABYTE AORUS GA-AX370-Gaming K7 or a GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 mobo would a soundcard increase my sound quality? Or am I ok with onboard sound? Also if a sound card would help could you guys give me some good recommendations? I appreciate any help given!

Solution
Try the on-board audio and see if that sounds good enough for you, it doesn't cost you anything to try what you get "for free" before paying extra for duplicate functionality.

For the most part, the noise coming from your PC's fans will probably far exceed any audio quality gains you may get from a sound card with better SNR than built-in audio, which means your only chance of hearing the difference is by using sufficiently good noise-canceling headphones or soundproofing your PC.

InvalidError

Distinguished
Try the on-board audio and see if that sounds good enough for you, it doesn't cost you anything to try what you get "for free" before paying extra for duplicate functionality.

For the most part, the noise coming from your PC's fans will probably far exceed any audio quality gains you may get from a sound card with better SNR than built-in audio, which means your only chance of hearing the difference is by using sufficiently good noise-canceling headphones or soundproofing your PC.

Solution

Denganim20

Prominent
Jun 29, 2017

I will try to see how well my good my onboard sound is then I'll go from there as you said, thanks for the help.