Do I need an amp or soundcard for the Sennheiser G4ME ZERO Gaming Headset ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VX35

Estimable
Mar 20, 2014
Apparently they require alot of power and im not sure if my old gigabyte b85m-d3h motherboard can handle these. Thanks

Solution
first, he has alc892 onboard not 1150. while true that high end boards with good onboard audio should handle his headphones fine it seems like he has rather cheap onboard sound which may not have a very good amplifier.

second, an amplifier is not for improving the sound but increasing it in power so that it may move harder to power drivers. while a good quality amplifier can certainly sound better than a lower quality one thats a different thing entirely.

the zero is rated at 150ohm impedence yet has fairly high sensitivity. if they were low sensitivity then i'd say an amp would be required although since they are high sensitivity its a harder call. given the low quality soundcard onboard and the fact that the zeros are fairly decent...

VX35

Estimable
Mar 20, 2014

Thanks for this, Its good hearing opinions from actual owners.

VX35

Estimable
Mar 20, 2014

Thanks for a very good all around review. I will pick up the ADG1's for gaming.

Whilst this was the best answer, It was not really the answer to the original question. I will go mark one of your earlier answer as best answer incase others want a response to the thread.
Thanks for your time!