Do I need an upgrade?

DaBizNitch

Estimable
Feb 4, 2016
I would like to know if my hardware configuration is out of date to to get high settings, for 60 fps game play on GTA 5. My build is a Asus M4A78LT-M LE motherboard, a AMD 1090t AM3 cpu, 2 x 4 GB ddr3 patriot memory 1600 mhz, a 500 watt thermaltake ps, and the gpu is a Asus geforce gtx 960 2GB DDR5 oc edition.I have the os and game on a toshiba ssd 128 GB. I can only get 40 fps with all settings on normal. The board supports 95 watt cpu's, and the 1090t is a 125 watt. I got it to work with the 0803 bios up date. Do I need a board and cpu upgrade, and if so, what is a good set up for that, AMD or Intel doesn't matter?

Solution
If you are playing at 1080p, the GTX 960 at Medium should be near 60 fps, so likely your CPU is the issue. You would want to go to an Intel i5 build for 60fp on High, with possibly an upgrade to a GTX 970 card, but at least switch to an i5. For a lower price build, the i5-6400 is pretty good, it's under $200 is a good value per $ for the speed. i5-6600 is also OK, for about $30 more. Either one will be better than your CPU now. This is for a non-overclocked system, for overclocking you'd want a K model CPU but those are higher priced.

If you really want high settings vs medium, you'd need a bit faster video card, but there is not much detail you'll be missing out on when playing at medium.
If you are playing at 1080p, the GTX 960 at Medium should be near 60 fps, so likely your CPU is the issue. You would want to go to an Intel i5 build for 60fp on High, with possibly an upgrade to a GTX 970 card, but at least switch to an i5. For a lower price build, the i5-6400 is pretty good, it's under $200 is a good value per $ for the speed. i5-6600 is also OK, for about $30 more. Either one will be better than your CPU now. This is for a non-overclocked system, for overclocking you'd want a K model CPU but those are higher priced.

If you really want high settings vs medium, you'd need a bit faster video card, but there is not much detail you'll be missing out on when playing at medium.

Solution

DaBizNitch

Estimable
Feb 4, 2016
Thanks for the reply, I have found a local computer shop and they are going to take my board and cpu as partial payment for a I5 4960 and a asus h97m-plus board, and they want $200 Canadian, cause I live in Canada. I think that's a great deal, I didn't get the K-series since I don't plan on overclocking my pc. Once again thanks for the input, much appreciated.