Do I Need DTS or Dolby for a Sound Card?

ScarletHY

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016
I'm currently looking for a 7.1 sound card to ditch my on board Supreme FX... currently looking forward to Asus Strix Soar.
However I noticed there isn't Dolby or DTS for the card, and thus making me a bit confused.
What does Dolby or DTS do in an audio system, and do I need it anyway?

Many Thanks.

Solution
DTS and Dolby are certifications from then that "guarantees" a certain level of performance in order to put the sticker on the box. basically they get a cut of the sale for the sticker.

it totally is not necessary to have in the system unless you just have the extra cash to burn. never been worth the extra to get that sticker on the box in all the years it has been an option. :)

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
DTS and Dolby are certifications from then that "guarantees" a certain level of performance in order to put the sticker on the box. basically they get a cut of the sale for the sticker.

it totally is not necessary to have in the system unless you just have the extra cash to burn. never been worth the extra to get that sticker on the box in all the years it has been an option. :)

Solution

ScarletHY

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016

I see, thank you.

What I thought previously was that the card has some support for DTS or Dolby, but then what you're saying is that it doesn't matter, and the card can run them all fine too?

RinJERKS

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017

Hi. I'd like to run an optical audio signal from my cable box into a Sound Blaster Z and out to my 5.1 computer speakers. I have a Blu-ray burner in my computer. I'm not finding much help from Creative customer support. Any help would be appreciated!
Rick