Do I need to buy headset for a good microphone?

chris96993

Estimable
Mar 31, 2014
I'm looking to spend around 40$, but I only really need a good mic and don't care about the headset.

So are most mics equal in quality or is maybe an island mic better than the headset ones? Usually Noone gives mic specs so it's hard to compare.

So basically should I go with buying a headset or are there other options that might cost less since I'm not paying for audio quality? Thanks

Solution
Full disclosure: I work for ModMic, a microphone company

Actually there's a lot of awesome resources for comparing mics of all types.

My favorite is this guy: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvOU-zTlankT-JjN3ZzvuKA

Now, before you dive down the rabbit hole of good audio, 40 bucks ain't much to work with for a good mic.

Some immediate options that come pretty close to that price:

ModMic 4 Omni (hey what a surprise I put our product first) - These are hard to find because we discontinued them, but for quality audio recording (NOT noise canceling) they're a great item. You will likely need a USB adapter as well. You can get the regular ModMic 4 Uni if you need noise canceling and aren't planning on doing professional recording stuff...

R_1

Estimable
Herald
no not all equal by a long shot.
will depend on what you need from the mic. I have xiberia E1 headset and the Mic on them surprised me. very sensitive at default, was picking up the earcups clear as a bell and sending it in chat. had to get the settings dialed in but that is everything.
the speakers are top notch by the way and the earcups are super comfy, even to my huge melon.

aajoe

Official Representative
Official Representative
Sep 2, 2017
Full disclosure: I work for ModMic, a microphone company

Actually there's a lot of awesome resources for comparing mics of all types.

My favorite is this guy: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvOU-zTlankT-JjN3ZzvuKA

Now, before you dive down the rabbit hole of good audio, 40 bucks ain't much to work with for a good mic.

Some immediate options that come pretty close to that price:

ModMic 4 Omni (hey what a surprise I put our product first) - These are hard to find because we discontinued them, but for quality audio recording (NOT noise canceling) they're a great item. You will likely need a USB adapter as well. You can get the regular ModMic 4 Uni if you need noise canceling and aren't planning on doing professional recording stuff.

Blue Snowball - SUPER SENSITIVE mic, but pretty much the common go to at this price. Seriously, this thing is going to pick up all background noise, but if you are in a quiet place it's a great mic.

Basically that's where I'd go, one of those two, at the 50 and under price. Anything with XLR will require a mixer and cheap USB mics are... well... cheap.

Solution