do I need to unlock bootloader before rooting?

Apr 4, 2018
I want to root my Samsung Galaxy S6 g920f whose running nougat 7.0 using the method provided in this guide https://www.tomsguide.com/us/root-samsung-galaxy-s6,review-4344.html
The problem is that I'm not sure if I need to unlock the phone with bootloader before I'm trying to root it, given the fact that the method mentioned in the guide includes flashing with Odin, I know that you have to unlock the phone before flashing a custom ROM or recovery but does it apply here too?
Do I need to unlock my phone before flashing or not? I don't want it to end up bricked.

Solution
I can only tell by my own experience and yes you do need to do that. You unlock the bootloader to flash a new recovery in order to flash custom ROM/root and backup current ROM and data. I you run an older version of android like 6.1 you might be able to use kingo root software to root without unlocking the bootloader.

Jonas Magnusson

Estimable
Nov 7, 2014
I can only tell by my own experience and yes you do need to do that. You unlock the bootloader to flash a new recovery in order to flash custom ROM/root and backup current ROM and data. I you run an older version of android like 6.1 you might be able to use kingo root software to root without unlocking the bootloader.

Solution