Do other manufacturers have their own magic (motion controlled) remotes?

attacus

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Or is LG the only one selling them? Do 3rd parties make them for other TVs? How would that even work with the different softwares used?

Solution
Apparently the Apple TV has a similar feature, but of course it works within their software and not for the TV's directly, which seems to be what you are after.

I would have to shop around extensively I imagine, but could probably find a similar solution. Not sure what the price would be.

Conceivably with an external camera, infrared sensor, and some programming you could make a system that duplicates the original remotes' commands that allows for a near seamless effect.

If you replace the TV's menu with another interface the world is wide open to such things. I have a little atom based HDMI stick that I plug into my TV every once in a while. It has bluetooth, so pretty much everything works with it. Got a neat little qwerty keyboard...

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Link to what you are talking about?

As for motion control, I know there were plenty of MS Kinect applications out there for PC which could be applied to a TV, and I vaguely recall Samsung had some TVs that did this as well.

attacus

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011

I mean the lg magic remote which basically acts like a mouse. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoxYO9DslkA
I was wondering if Samsung. Sony or Panasonic had a remote like this.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
I suppose it depends on which features you are after, but they all have approximations of this. I doubt there is anything exactly like it, and there would be a subset of televisions this worked with.

From the wireless remotes with touchpads (which I imagine are far superior control wise)

Using your smart device's touch screen as a remote, or now some of the providers are offering voice control via set top boxes.

Many TVs are voice activated, and we are back to the MS Kinect via an XBox which adds a lot of voice control options.

Many of the streaming set top boxes offer less capable control schemes for TVs with their add in modules.

As for a device that is effectively motion control, there is the Gyration Air Mouse.

attacus

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011

I meant to click reply there. What i'm looking for is the remote which works like a Wii remote, on a smart TV, where as well as selecting menus you use a cursor on screen.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
I don't think you are going to find that. Any such interface needs to be integrated by its nature. You have to be able to detect where the cursor is to be able to interact with the menu items, and they weren't built with that in mind.

Quick research shows Samsung has a similar system that is more universal, in that it controls more then the TV, however many reference having to use an 'onscreen' remote so that kind of ruins it.

Sony also has a similar system.

I think you will find that most are purpose built for a series of TVs.

attacus

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011

So is it safe to say that in terms of a motion controlled remote that comes with the TV, LG is the only 1st party TV manufacturer offering this kind of remote?

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Apparently the Apple TV has a similar feature, but of course it works within their software and not for the TV's directly, which seems to be what you are after.

I would have to shop around extensively I imagine, but could probably find a similar solution. Not sure what the price would be.

Conceivably with an external camera, infrared sensor, and some programming you could make a system that duplicates the original remotes' commands that allows for a near seamless effect.

If you replace the TV's menu with another interface the world is wide open to such things. I have a little atom based HDMI stick that I plug into my TV every once in a while. It has bluetooth, so pretty much everything works with it. Got a neat little qwerty keyboard with a touchpad on it that is about 6 inches long.

Solution

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
It appears they've had it for a while. And the video demonstration linked is pretty consistent with the accuracy of the Wii. I don't doubt, just don't really see the point. Then you are tying yourself to the LG applications, and you would have to really like them.

About the only app I use on my TV is the Amazon one, which is actually pretty decent.