Do you guys suggest I get this laptop?

Phantomous

Estimable
Jan 10, 2015
I recently started College on the 1st of September, and currently in the process of getting a job. When I start saving up, I want to be sure I'm buying the right thing.

The laptop I'm interested in is the MSI PE60, which I believe has a great price for the specs it comes with, like, come on; an IPS display with an i5 processor and GTX 960m... That's better than my Gaming PC which I thought was above average. (PC: i5 2320 3.0GHz Turbo 3.3GHz, 6GB RAM, MSI R7 250 1GB GDDR5 OC, Windows 10 Pro)

In total I spent just over £600 on my PC, and it runs games great, nearly most of them maxed out, e.g. Mad Max.

I really like that laptop because 1. It costs slightly more than my PC did but performance is a lot better. 2. I need it for College for Photoshop and Illustrator, (No heavy editing, just light photoshopping for Graphics AS and Media AS.) And for general gaming in my spare time. 3. It's gorgeous, lol.

So what you guys think? Is the MSI PE60 worth it? (The i5 model)

Solution
Well to be honest, you did mention that you will use it for light editing and for casual gaming so I don't see a reason why to pay for the i7 version. I just wanted you to know about the mobile as in M versions of the processors.

Also checked some reviews for this laptop and it's rated to be pretty decent for it's price the resolution is also nice so yeah go for it, unless there is someone who can advise better?

legion_of_cheese

Estimable
Sep 15, 2014
Double check that i5 processor, because I googled "MSI PE60 i5" and got the "MSI PE60 Prestige Series 15.6 inch Laptop + FREE Panocam" which is 695 quids including VAT. Now the shop is probably a different one from which you are buying, but assuming it's at least the right model: the i5 processor is i5-4210H which is actually 2 cores with HT. Now someone should come in and comment on how good these are, particularly for your case... But beware of the marketing tricks for mobile versions of these processors.

Phantomous

Estimable
Jan 10, 2015

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/prestige-intel-core-i5-4210h-8gb-1tb-nvidia-gtx-960m-2gb-dedicated-graphi-9s7-16j214-205/version.asp (i5)

That's the one I'm on about, and I know very well that it's a mobile processor, there's also an i7 variant (I'll post link below) which costs over £800. Which one do you think is worth it more? i5 or i7 for a LOT more money?

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/prestige-intel-core-i7-5700hq-8gb-1tb-nvidia-gtx-960m-2gb-dedicated-graph-9s7-16j214-204/version.asp (i7)

legion_of_cheese

Estimable
Sep 15, 2014
Well to be honest, you did mention that you will use it for light editing and for casual gaming so I don't see a reason why to pay for the i7 version. I just wanted you to know about the mobile as in M versions of the processors.

Also checked some reviews for this laptop and it's rated to be pretty decent for it's price the resolution is also nice so yeah go for it, unless there is someone who can advise better?

Solution

Phantomous

Estimable
Jan 10, 2015

Well the i7 variant has 4 cores, which is a massive upgrade, so I guess I'll just save up for that one.