Do you need a grille at the back of a motherboard?

Mar 31, 2018
Do you need a grille at the back of a motherboard? Im buying a motherboard but it does to have a grille at the back. Do I need it So I avoid aby damage?

Solution
pretty sure you are talking about an IO Shield. As previous reply have said no you don't need one, its function is can be related to case airflow, keeping unwanted critters out, and aesthetic.

I've heard some people say that motherboard manufacturers may send you a new one free of charge, might be worth sending an email over to whichever company made the motherboard.
Mar 31, 2018

Im thinking about air leaks but also if the Motherboard get damaged by eg: connecting your keyboard and not looking

DRagor

Estimable
Jan 23, 2017
My guess is OP thinks about heatsink on VRMs. Simple rule here: if manufacturer built motherboard without heatsinks, it will work without them, of course within limits set by manufacturer. But if you try aggressive CPU overclock on a board without VRM heatsink, yes you can damage motherboard.

R4DIO4CT1VE

Estimable
Feb 1, 2016
pretty sure you are talking about an IO Shield. As previous reply have said no you don't need one, its function is can be related to case airflow, keeping unwanted critters out, and aesthetic.

I've heard some people say that motherboard manufacturers may send you a new one free of charge, might be worth sending an email over to whichever company made the motherboard.

Solution