Question Do you think we'll ever see subscription based or purchasable GSIs on Android?

Jul 13, 2020
This thought came to me while discussing the Pixel 4\4a(5G)\5 with friends this weekend.
Do you think we're getting close to a point where Google\Samsung\LG\Sony\etc could start offering a GSI (for a price) which could be flashed to any (fully Treble compatible) phone?
It would give people more freedom to purchase hardware based on personal requirements and also get the software experience we lean towards?
Personally I think its what google could possibly be pushing for long term with all the requirements they're setting out with project treble with each major Android release. Either a bare bones Android GSI with the google play framework to flash on phones no longer getting software updates. Or a premium Pixel GSI which would essentially turn any phone into a pixel device.
Hardware advancements aren't going to get much better over the next few years so it makes sense from a business standpoint to focus on the software side. (Correct me if im wrong) but i'm also pretty sure that the functionality is present in the play store to be able to install GSIs as well?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Android Smartphones 1
okrobie Android Smartphones 1
J Android Smartphones 1
M Android Smartphones 1
G Android Smartphones 0
C Android Smartphones 1
G Android Smartphones 0
S Android Smartphones 1
M Android Smartphones 1
E Android Smartphones 1
P Android Smartphones 1