Docking station for Sony Vaio SVS131C1DL

justinf10000

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016
It is near impossible to find information on this, so i'm hoping you guys can help.

This laptop and all the docking stations are discontinued so finding one that works is proving to be a huge PITA.

Can anyone link me a docking station that fits this model laptop?

The laptop

Since searching for the model # and compatible docking stations doesn't help, ive been trying to look at the ports on the pictures of the available docking stations and matching them up to the ports on the laptop. The issue is the pictures usually don't give a clear picture of the ports so i'm left guessing.

Below is a bunch of pictures/links.

Laptop ports (on bottom of laptop)
https://imgur.com/a/wkNHLBX

1. docking station that google search says will work with this laptop (none available anywhere though)

2. potential docking station (looking up this model number says it works with 15 inch laptops, however the laptop in question is 13 inch)

Will the above "potential docking station" work with this laptop? And if not, how to i find a clear answer on to what will actually fit this laptop? I've searched for hours but could not find any clear answers.

I would appreciate any help with this!

Solution
You already searched pretty well, docking stations that fit laptop ports are not generic. At times different size models can fit on them, for example we have some 12.5 and 14" Dell laptops that can use the same dock, but that is again on a vendor and model specific basis. Those connectors have specific locations for various things, power, video, USB, etc.. and those are not standard in dock connections.

Check eBay, check craigslist, etc...

Did you check this? http://www.notebookparts.com/genuine-sony-vaio-s-series-docking-station-port-replicator-vgpprs20/?gclid=CjwKCAjwsdfZBRAkEiwAh2z65iwUPc2ImZtn1WrrmdijBmYclcbACC2JC3Ai1Af4ygxUASpPOYYVehoCYNgQAvD_BwE It is pretty much the first thing that comes up when you search for a dock for that model.

justinf10000

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016

Thank you for replying, i didn't think anyone was going to answer!

I have checked that link and while it seems like it would be helpful, it doesn't really answer if its compatible or not. The docking station is VGPPRS20 and searching that PN gives no list of compatible laptops. I don't know how i'm supposed to know what works with the laptop and what doesn't. And i don't know where to go to find out.

Why does sony make it so damn difficult to find out what works with what? How hard would it be to include a list of compatible laptop models? like seriously.

Anyways i am just venting because i'm frustrated, but i don't know how to find out. Spending $80 on a dock just for it not to work is not worth it.

It is encouraging to know that some 12.5 inch models work with 15 inch laptop docks, but again i'm left just guessing.

justinf10000

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016
I reached out to Sony customer support and they basically told me they could not help me and told me to check the E support website. I am pretty disappointed in this customer service, they don't seem to care at all.

justinf10000

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016

It's my girlfriends laptop and she wants to keep it for a while. It still runs fine. I want to upgrade it eventually but its a lot cheaper to buy a docking station/port replicator instead of buying a new laptop. I get that it is out of production, but there are plenty of port replicators out there.. i just don't understand why its so damn hard to find out what works with it. Why is there no comparability list? I don't get it at all.

You have an S series laptop, the dock in the link states "Sony Vaio S Series Docking Station", the connection on the dock looks like the one on the laptop correct? So that looks to be the one. You can always call the seller and ask, or ask if you can return it easily if it happens not to work.

You said something about "upgrading the laptop", a dock won't help you there at all, it's just easier to use as a desktop with external keyboard/mouse/monitor and maybe get a few more ports on it. You won't make the thing faster with it.

Solution