Doctor Octopus' Robot Arms Now A Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duesouth

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
somewhat old but new with a twist, just look at a car manufacturing plant, everything is almost all automatic robots. assembler, welding, all done well the car is being assemble along a conveyor. so just another robotic thing.

ryanjm

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
Pretty cool, but not sure why they went with the 'elephant trunk' design. My arm/hand is much more advanced. Fingers and thumbs are some of the most advanced grasping/manipulating tools in the animal kingdom.

wolfseeker2828

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
It is important, though, it's a significantly safer model, since it has enough dexterity to handle things like fruit and won't cut off limbs if someone gets caught in the way. It also allows for more demanding use of the robots - they can be used for smaller and more sensitive things now.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
Apparently Festo hopes to see these "Assistants" take over the automotive market, kicking out the clunky, decrepit 1st generation of robotic arms. To see the Bionic Handling Assistant, check out the video below. Viewer beware: we're not responsible for the nightmares endured thereafter.

Now instead of financial issues causing layoffs of North american jobs, We can see Doctor Octopus putting these people out of work in his new sinister plot to destroy spiderman.

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
these hands are far too slow for the auto industry... i mean have you seen CNC machines go? the rapids on those are insane and so the same on some of the robotic hands... true maybe they didnt show the full speed or power of them but if they move as seen here its pretty slow :p though they could do a lot more in the same amount of space i would assume and do really odd shapes unlike conventional robotic hands need a great amount of degrees of freedom to move about

egidem

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Skynet is finally happening and we're all unaware of it...shit, if Skynet DOES happen, we'll have to get Kanye West to interrupt it.

G

These look relatively simple... Just spacer plates that have cabling running along the sides, and when a motor winds up one cable the arm bends in that direction. Then slap a claw on the end and you're good!

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Actually, this is really cool in the freedom it provides over traditional robots. Still seems a bit clumsy, imprecise and maximum load may never match rigid axis systems. Nevertheless, I think they're on to something. Imagine the reach ...

G

Is it just me, or did the latter part of the video look like it was depicting some sort of robot mating ritual?

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Stukinit[/nom]These look relatively simple... Just spacer plates that have cabling running along the sides, and when a motor winds up one cable the arm bends in that direction. Then slap a claw on the end and you're good![/citation]

I don't believe it's the design itself that's news more the fact that they can interact with people and safely handle delicate objects.

Just need to figure out how to fuse these to my spine and we're good to go :p

Status
Not open for further replies.