DoD Pulls Software Collecting Data on Children

Status
Not open for further replies.

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
"The collection of AAFES customer information (personal or otherwise) for any other purpose than to provide quality customer service is prohibited" by the agreement retailers sign to sell products through the AAFES site...

Under this agreement, I would say including the extra spyware as an opt-in check box would be "ballsy" but, to include the spyware in the installation and use an opt-out check box is really asking for trouble IMO under those pre-existing terms.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Not unexpected from DoD. I have mentioned several times on this forum the natural "inclination" of the govt. to collect data on it's citizens, most of the time when they're completely unaware of that.
DoD collects the data to mine for potential future soldiers and this is only one way of doing that. How, for instance, do you explain that when your kid is at high-school age you suddenly start receiving adds from the Army, etc., when they weren't invited at the birthday party?

"During the installation process we fully disclose all of Family Safe's procedures and clearly display an opt-out button for all anonymous aggregate data sharing
in our (EULA) End User License Agreement," the company said in an email."

How many people fully - or even partially - read EULA's? Hiding behind that EULA is bull$hit and I hope they get hammered for that.

But, who cares? It's only money out of our pockets that get spent on all that...

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]doc70[/nom]Not unexpected from DoD. I have mentioned several times on this forum the natural "inclination" of the govt. to collect data on it's citizens, most of the time when they're completely unaware of that.DoD collects the data to mine for potential future soldiers and this is only one way of doing that. How, for instance, do you explain that when your kid is at high-school age you suddenly start receiving adds from the Army, etc., when they weren't invited at the birthday party?[/citation]

It's called "they mail everyone when they come of age". They stop if you tell them to. Take your conspiracy theories elsewhere.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Sure... The DoD had no clue. Just about as much sa when they send scouts to school from the army etc. They are not even aware of whats going on Im sure about it I tell you.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
Hmmmm...I guess collecting and seeling personal information is seen as a supplemental revenue source. It's been going on for quite a long time.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Funny, I did not realize the DoD ran online stores. Are you talking about AAFES or NEX or MCX? They are not DoD run, they are ran by civilian NAF hires that work on base. They have exclusivity rights to own and operate exchange installations on base (Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines), but they are not like a GSA installation that is completely DoD operated.

G

The Pentagon’s fiscal 2011 budget continues the Obama administration’s drive to get “the most bang for the buck” by terminating seven major weapons programs and shifting resources to focus on emerging threats.
Texas holdem spielen

Status
Not open for further replies.