Solved! Does “Full HD LCD TV” actually perform well?

Paul Smith

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Hey guys!

These days we have lots of tv option in market, one of them is full HD LCD TV.

According to my knowledge full HD LCD TV produces very high resolution images.

Do you think these bright images are not harmful for our eyes?

If anyone using full HD LCD TV, kindly share your experience here with us.

Thanks!

Solution
there is no "yes it is safe" or "no it is not safe"

its all about what you are viewing, how you are viewing it, and for how long.

i'll reitterate some of the tips i mentioned above and post a few new ones:

it is best to use a tv in a well lit area to eliminate unnecessary eye strain. if you absolutely must use it in a dimly lit or dark area turn the brightness down low.

staring at any object without having to refocus on an object closer or further away is very hard on your eyes. this is why i say it is a very wise idea to take breaks if just to focus on another object. take it from someone who knows, i'm in front of a screen for about 80% of the day. if you only use the tv infrequently, you might not need to follow such a rigorous...
for lcd technology in general....whether or not it is harmful depends on a few things.

what is the brightness of the television? what is your ambient lighting situation?
in a dark room with the brightness turned way up then yes, i would think that after awhile you could start to have problems.

how long do you sit in front of the television? do you take breaks?
staring at lcd screens for long periods of time is definitely known to cause some eye problems. this is why they recommend taking breaks regularly (even if its just to focus on something else for 20 seconds)

you can most definitely read up on safety information if you search online.

if you want to know about lcd performance... then what are you expecting to know?

Paul Smith

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

Yeah i got your point but i am looking to purchase any lcd tv, its just for knowledge and i want to know that like we got the high bright images from the full hd lcd tv, so are those bright images will be safe for our eyes or not?

there is no "yes it is safe" or "no it is not safe"

its all about what you are viewing, how you are viewing it, and for how long.

i'll reitterate some of the tips i mentioned above and post a few new ones:

it is best to use a tv in a well lit area to eliminate unnecessary eye strain. if you absolutely must use it in a dimly lit or dark area turn the brightness down low.

staring at any object without having to refocus on an object closer or further away is very hard on your eyes. this is why i say it is a very wise idea to take breaks if just to focus on another object. take it from someone who knows, i'm in front of a screen for about 80% of the day. if you only use the tv infrequently, you might not need to follow such a rigorous break schedule.

make sure you are sitting a comfortable distance from the tv and the tv is sized right. if you're sitting across the room and straining your eyes to look at a 30" television then you will have issues eventually.

if you use the tv as a pc monitor make sure you adjust your settings so that text and everything is easy to read (similar to the point above).

even in brightly lit areas i avoid turning a television up to 100% brightness (on mine its called "vivid" setting) i know even in a bright room turning the tv up on vivid makes me squint my eyes, so it probably can cause some sort of issues.

---

short answer:

if you follow a few of the generic "screen" safety tips and use a display in moderation then no you shouldnt have any issues. normally problems develop in people who either abuse their eyes or are forced to deal with them on a regular basis.

Solution

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
solid truth spoken above.
televisions sometimes have a 'lumens' rating in their specifications.
you might want to use this number to help give yourself a reference to the brightness of the television.
but
i wouldnt assume other televisions couldnt be turned down a bit before losing image quality or some other problem.

i do feel that it might be problematic to ask a very bright television to play video darker.
as always, the television would have to be designed to do it for the change to be acceptable.
having the option to turn the brightness up and down does not mean the electronics inside will 'support' the request for a long time.
this could mean something inside breaks early.. or maybe the response time grows higher.. or maybe some other anamoly.

@anwaypasible & OP

lcd televisions support dimming. its pretty easy to get to in the menus and you can even do a few presets from most remotes. there is a hardware min/max that you cannot surpass so you dont have to worry about damaging your equipment.

in fact, my television is always on one of the lower "presets" which was labeled theatre (20% brightness maybe). the 100% brightness preset which i believe was named vivid has a rediculously high light output which i couldnt see anyone using except in a very bright area (if at all).

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
there is a hardware min/max that cannot be surpassed.. and the software menus are not guaranteed to keep you in the safe areas.
this is true for brightness, contrast, colors, and sharpness.

and it has always been true for any type of television.
lots of things with adjustable settings have allowed the owner to bring their hardware to unsafe levels of operation.
amplifiers do it with their gain controls
receivers do it with their volume controls
computer monitors do it with their resolution and refresh rates

sometimes that is how a generic product dies, when you put the settings on max and leave it there.

puntojay

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
i'm glad i have read this. i have just got myself a full hd tv and i have my vivid colour and cats and p-nr on all the time. now i see i can break the tv using it 24/7

so there for watching a film or football but normal tv just have it normal. does anyone no what a tv is best set at. at the mo my contrast, brightness, colour, sharpness are all on the same %

@AP,

most manufacturers take the hardware min/max into account when designing their software or control interfaces. min/max/safety information is also normally listed in the manual. its up to the user to verify that they are within such tolerances, however the manufacturer often makes it easy to not screw it up. running them at their max also does not mean that the product will fail before the normal mtbf, it just means that there is a greater chance depending on conditions. remember that not just min/max come into play but also the environment and usage time.

for example, if i run my television at 100% for 2 hours a day, @ 70^F, i might have no issues but if i ran it at 50% for 6 hours a day, @ 95^F i might have some serious problems due to excess heat. hopefully they built in an overload, but you get my point.

@Punto

using a tv 24/7 on any setting increases the risk of it dying. if you only use the tv for a few hours a day the risk is much much less.

just adjust the settings to match what you like. we all have our own preferences.

personally i always have my tv under 50% brightness since i'm in a room which isnt brightly lit. its also much easier on the eyes. if you're around monitors all day long and come home to a tv you'd understand my point there.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
seriously, i am not here to say which television will break with the settings on 100%

ssddx really did a lot of wrapping things up on the how and when and why.
the combinations of what is more stressful to what is less stressful is completely chosen and designed.
it isnt too much to ask when you buy a cheap lcd monitor and try to raise the contrast ratio by putting the black levels at 100% and the brightness down.
does it mean the instance above is going to kill the television..? no.
some LCD panels absolutely love to show the color black.
some love to show white.

some flourescent bulbs love to shine bright.
others love to be less bright.

some ballasts (the thing that turns the flourescent bulb on) love to start the bulb on maximum brightness.
others love to start the bulb more dim.

could be compared to the many many different vehicles on the road today.
there are a lot of things that makes one vehicle different than the other.

nothing has changed..
if your television breaks, and you feel the problem came too early.. there are only two things to blame:
1. you could say the manufacturer is a punk and the products they sell is junk (but maybe it was specific to the model you have)
2. you could say the price you paid for the television was too low.

and maybe somebody comes along and says that all of the kinks were not worked out in the 'invention' stages.. and those problems made their way to the manufacturing factories.

what is the most common problem i read about televisions being broken?
the power supply.
doesnt matter if it is plasma, lcd, or crt.
seems like the industry doesnt want the power supply to suck up a bunch of electricity.. and because of that stage, a lot of the power supplies need replaced.
this might prove to be the benefit of the owner, to say that the old power supply could be 'fixed' ... but would suck up a lot more electricity.
the less electricity thing was one reason why the entire industry made a move to the lcd and plasma televisions.
..the space the television takes up is another reason (lots of houses are 50 - 100 years old and SMALL)
and another thing would be the convergence, as crt televisions often have a problem with the picture being bent.

you start to get more detailed and complicated..
the design principle of the electron gun works by bouncing the rays off of the side of the tube (kinda like reverb for audio) and there is only so much room inside the tube to do this.
you would need extra tube on the top and bottom (and perhaps the sides too) for the picture quality to be superb, with the electrical requirements being lower.

sure, there are monitors with 1600x1200 and 2048x1536 resolution.
but
the astounding amount of electricity that it takes to make those resolutions possible with the bouncing of the rays off of the sides of the tube.. it is really really high.
people's lives are at risk when they repair these monitors if the energy isnt drained properly.
and that could simply prove to be where the accident happens.. trying to drain the electricity.

the biggest problem with LCD televisions and monitors is hiding the liquid when it isnt in use.
you either hide what isnt being used and wait for the pixel to change.
or
you use more expensive liquid that contains everything always, and simply changes.

when the liquid needs a place to hide, that means more space between the pixels.. as well as smaller pixel size.
this means you have to sit further away from the television so the pixels blend together, and if the pixels are smaller in size, the fidelity of the picture isnt going to be superb.
sure, things like a human face would be fine.. but the small things like snowflakes would be horrendous and almost non-existant.

a whole lot of work has gone into getting the lcd MONITORS made.
people sit close to them and they want 1080p resolution.
and they are also going to want MORE resolution like they had with crt monitors.

really a matter of being well zoomed in with the microscope, and taking on the pain of using lcd panels that have room in the cavity between pixels.. and then drawing that space outwards so there is truly space (would be inwards towards the backlight).
the panel isnt a small simple piece of flat glass or plastic with a bunch of dividers inside to keep the liquid from mixing together.
now each pixel would have a backpack that must remain hidden in the void between the pixels.

i suppose it is one thing to see a homeless person on the street.
and it is another thing to see a homeless person who is telling you about not wanting to be where they are in life.
some people might be living on the street to save some money, while still going to work and wearing 3 layers of clothing to hide any smell.
while the other person is upset and angry because something went wrong in their life and they didnt have any choice.

anyways..
to the industry, i say..
there are simply too many reasons to be rid of the crt monitors.
dont forget why LCD panels flooded the market and the crt technology has been forced to die.
sure, it might have all started because LCD panels were 'possible' and perhaps much easier to do with one color.
but
the success of the television technology is much more than using less electricity to keep people safe.
i think the amount of people with a small living room is staggering.
and by giving them a television they can mount onto the wall for more elbow space and breathing room.. the better their life can be.

not many people realize it but.. houses are being made bigger and bigger.
sure, it starts out with those bigger houses costing more money to buy.
but
eventually the small houses will crumble to the ground and people will not tolerate being in such confined spaces.
those things are from the early 1900's .. !
not a lot of big rooms.. and if the house is big, there are lots of small rooms.
cant knock down a wall because the house would fall inwards onto itself.
a no win situation.
it really is a no win situation because there is simply too much 'stuff' to buy nowadays.
and seriously.. you could fill up a two car garage with a bunch of things that are all important.
so trying to fit those into your living area is quite difficult.
the industry knows this.. and that is why they are making new houses bigger and bigger.
it certainly isnt because people are having twins and triplets more often :lol:
we are not the simple farmer anymore.
lot of things besides a shovel and a rake and a tractor.

i think even the wood working shops are finding new tools to put into their workspace.
there used to be:
jigsaw
circular saw
drill press
table saw
router
lathe

i really cant think of what else could be in there, except maybe a computer-controlled router or jigsaw.
but
that could take up a whole bunch of square feet compared to those tools.

all to say about the settings of your television.
there is only ONE right way to do it.. and that is to calibrate the television with color filters and the help of calibrating pictures viewed on the screen.
do that and see 'when' it breaks.
consider the price you paid for the television, and then have a look at the manufacturer you bought it from.
as you lift your head, look to see if the complaints about broken televisions are still rolling in.