Does an induction cooktop work with cast iron pans? Here’s what the experts say

Fox Tread3

Prominent
Jun 19, 2023
July 22, 2024 - I was given a "one burner" induction appliance some years back, and when that reached its end of life. I bought a really useful "two burner" induction appliance that has great controls including timers. I use stainless steel pots and pans with no problem. Anyone not sure if their utensils can be used on an induction unit, just has to see if a magnet will stick to the bottom of the item. The unit I purchased while large, (about half the burner area of a electric range), is excellent for people with limited space in their kitchen or apartment. It's a little heavy, but can be stored away in a large cabinet with no problem. Thumbs up on Induction cooking.

John Fox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2014
As noted in the article, be sure to get burners that will fit you larger pans. Or 12 inch cat iron skillet and stock put were virtually worthless on the 9 inch portable induction burner we bought during a kitchen remodel. After pricing out the cost of an induction cooktop with 12 inch burners and the expense of upgrading the wiring versus adding a small gas tank and gas cooktop, we replaced our old electric stove with a very nice gas cooktop with a forced air wok burner and saved a ton of money.

And bought an electric kettle if we need to boil water in a hurry. The portable burner just gathers dust.

I'm not suggesting one is better than the other, only suggesting one carefully explore and understand ones needs before deciding.

Fox Tread3

Prominent
Jun 19, 2023
July 26, 2024 - To confirm, the two burner induction appliance uses standard 110 electricity. No rewiring required. Also, when doing a search online look for a company that has a wide inventory of things related to cooking and the kitchen. This may not be permitted, but I will say the company's name whose appliance I purchased starts with a small letter "d".😊