Does ASUS K52F BIOS support boot from USB flash-drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidstone

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
Hi,

I ordered ASUS K52F notebook today and want to install Win7 64 from USB flash-drive.

I was just wondering if anyone here knew if this model’s BIOS support boot from USB stick…

Many thanks

davidstone

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009

Kevin thanks, that much I know ;-), but I was hoping for someone who might actually have the same model and would be able to confirm it.

cheers

salon software

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Hi,
The ESC did not work for me on an ASUS mobo; F8 is that.
I tried my Boot USB pen drive on a dell laptop
and it worked. I then(after some head scratching!) set BIOS to allow legacy USB(in truth i may have switched that off myself) and it worked first time.
HTH
Craig
http://www.SalonSoftwareSystem.com

dave7

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

buwish

I bought an Asus X44H in January 2012, and I assumed that all newer laptops boot
from a jump drive. So, I did not check for this feature.

I found that it does boot from a flash drive but not in the manner I expected. You have to go through 6 steps to boot from the jump drive. And you must go through them every time.

You may have heard, like I did, that booting from a jump drive can be almost instantaneous
if you have a small Linux OS on your jump drive. No Go with this Asus.

My Asus does not allow me to include the Jump drive in the list of automatic boot choices.
It is termed as a HDD Override and you must enter the Bios manually on every boot and
go through several steps to find, highlight and select the choice of booting from the jump
drive - which then immediately starts the boot. No instant boots from a jump drive.

You should be able to use the F12 key at power on to boot the USB drive or DVD without the need to enter BIOS.

jvals

Estimable
Oct 31, 2014

Hey Dave,

I am running into the same issue with my K52F laptop, trying to boot into my ubuntu jump drive. Care to share the steps for us if you remember?

Status
Not open for further replies.