Does Bitlocker effect program performance?

penciltester

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
Hi everyone

I am new to encryption and was wondering if having Bitlocker encrypting my WindowsOs drive would effect program performance. The programs I use daily are Sketchbook and Maya. These are also on the same drive as Windows. Their save locations are on a different drive.

Thank you for your time.

Solution
Encryption will effect the performance of any task that requires reading or writing to the drive. So in a sense yes, but only when the operation in the application does a task that requires reading or writing to the drive. So even though it will effect performance it won't have an effect most of the time and shouldn't effect anything that will have any major impact on drawing or other such manipulations of your art as that is mainly a CPU/GPU and memory based task.

caqde

Distinguished
May 31, 2007
Encryption will effect the performance of any task that requires reading or writing to the drive. So in a sense yes, but only when the operation in the application does a task that requires reading or writing to the drive. So even though it will effect performance it won't have an effect most of the time and shouldn't effect anything that will have any major impact on drawing or other such manipulations of your art as that is mainly a CPU/GPU and memory based task.

Solution