Does CrashPlan restore files in the original format in which they....

Adelana

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
[Dell desktop; firefox; WLMail; Thunderbird; Windows10]

Could someone tell me whether the restoring files in CrashPlan will be in the same format as I had them on my email program? Example: will they look like this format: xxxxxx@xxxx.xxx? Or like a code to be opened with a few clicks? Zip code? If not which other backup cloud does?

When a techie transferred my files to my new computer, the files didn't look like the above format, but they looked like some kind of code and I had to open them one at a time AND each one opened into another big bunch of more of these coded files.

Thanks ever so much for any suggestions.

P.S. Out of fear, I seldom backed up my computer and....I recently lost all my files and programs, so I'm eager to establish a continual backing up now. :)

Solution
CrashPlan seems to be a backup software. And as such, it will backup files (and in some cases, computer settings). WHile you are at it - make a test run. Make a full backup of your computer, replace your (working) hard drive with a spare one, and try to restore. You will know what to expect.

As for application' files: There is no single standard way where these application keep their data and settings. If you backup (and subsequently restore) files only, you might have to reinstall these applications (eh ThunderBird), re-configure them (re-enter email addresses, servers, accounts and passwords), and restore data.
CrashPlan seems to be a backup software. And as such, it will backup files (and in some cases, computer settings). WHile you are at it - make a test run. Make a full backup of your computer, replace your (working) hard drive with a spare one, and try to restore. You will know what to expect.

As for application' files: There is no single standard way where these application keep their data and settings. If you backup (and subsequently restore) files only, you might have to reinstall these applications (eh ThunderBird), re-configure them (re-enter email addresses, servers, accounts and passwords), and restore data.

Solution