Does heated up hard drive means faulty?

Camaross1220

Estimable
Feb 19, 2015
Im using asus x55ld laptop for almost 2 years.All was working perfect until recent times that it shutdowns automatically with a sound.I thought that it might be dust blocking fan,so i have cleaned all the dust.Even after i cleaned the fan etc,Im keep having this shutting down problem but this time it makes my hard drive hot.However,I can still turn on and log in but all the location shows unavailable.I tried reformat and now my hard drive not warm like before but still laptop restart/shutdown??

If anyone aware of this situation,please kindly assist me.

Hi,

You mentioned that when it shuts down it makes a sound, was it a normal windows sound or something else? Here are some troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Try removing the battery of your laptop and boot it up with just it's AC adapter and see if it would still shut down.
- If it will still shut down, do try a different AC adapter but has the same voltage and see if the same problem will persist.
- Also try applying a new thermal paste on both the GPU and CPU that should help in cooling down your laptop because overheating might be causing it to automatically shut down.
- If all these will not work the problem lies in the motherboard itself and may need service if it's still under the factory warranty.

Camaross1220

Estimable
Feb 19, 2015

I tried remove battery and use ac adapter before.It didnt shutdown but restarts and showing some windows blue screen stating that pc need to restart etc...I forgot to mention that I was having blue screen from start of this problem but if i connected to ac adapter,the laptop shows blue screen and restart..