Solved! Does my laptop cause ozone?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
The only way your PC would produce ozone is if something is arcing (short circuiting), the PSU would probably be the most likely culprit if this was happening. But the only way anything in your PC or PSU is short circuiting is if it's malfunctioning, and if it were malfunctioning like that there would be other obvious signs.

KABAZZ_

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017

Thank you for solving my concerns, I'm a very anxious person and i know it can be a bit annoying at times, but thanks

Cancer from ozone is probably like #3846 on the list of things that can kill you. The #1 non-disease risk is drug overdoses, followed by suicide, then your car, followed by falls from stairs/ladders. If you're worried about your health and safety, worry about those instead. A little effort to improve your driving skills will yield a much greater reduction in your risk of death than a lot of effort to eliminate emissions from your computer.

Ozone is produced by injecting high energy into atmospheric oxygen to convert it from O2 into O3. If you think of the energy gradient as a hill, you need to push the O2 up the hill far enough to where it'll form O3. That takes a lot of energy concentrated in a very small space (so it affects individual O2 atoms). A processor running at 90C (not even hot enough to boil water) will not create it. Aside from an arcing PSU, the only other component I can think of that could are the voltage converters on the old CFL backlights. Those had to bump up the computer's 12V to several thousand volts to drive the fluorescent bulb.

KABAZZ_

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017

How can I tell my PSU is arcing?

KABAZZ_

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017

How about the high temps, couldn't they like cause a chemical reaction that makes ozone or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.