Does Nero always take forever to burn?

Sam9707T

Estimable
Aug 29, 2014
Hi

I recently downloaded Nero 2014 in order to burn some movies I had on my pc onto some DVD's (Dual Layered DVD's to be exact). At first I tried to put a 2gb HD movie (1980x800) onto the DVD using AVCHD, but once I saw the 14 hour estimated time to complete, I aborted straight away cos I knew that wasn't normal.

I then tried to burn a 700mb (1280x536) HD movie onto the same disc using the normal DVD setting (not AVCHD). I put quality on automatic, and it put everything to the highest because I had 8gb on the DVD. It still took an hour and a half to do the entire process of burning and transcoding and whatever else it does.

Is this normal? I have burnt music onto a CD using windows media player in past which only took like 6 minutes (if even that), although I know that burning movies is a lengthier process. I have heard about people saying they only take like 20 minutes to burn movies onto their DVD's which kinda alarmed me, as I have a fairly powerful rig and I should be able to burn at higher speeds.

Here are my computer specs -
Windows 7 Ultimate
AMD FX-4100 (Overclocked at 4 GHz)
2x4GB Corsair Memory Ram
AMD Radeon HD6900
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5
2x1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
Samsung Superwritemaster SH-222AB (I find this drive to actually be very fast at reading DVD's)

DMA is enabled, disk is defragged every week, virtual memory is already optimized, I'm just curious to know if its normal for this process to take so long.

Also if someone could explain if burning a HD movie onto a DVD using AVCHD on medium quality settings (it gets full at medium) will give better quality than burning it using regular DVD at excellent quality, I would appreciate it :)

Thanks

prit87

Estimable
Jun 16, 2014
what was your writing speed ?? the time depends on your writing speed .....if u are burning a movie then u can set your writing speed to high low writing spped is for burning a lot of files so that no files get missing .

Sam9707T

Estimable
Aug 29, 2014

Well my writing speed is set to max, which for me is 16x

Cheers for the response :)

randomizer

Distinguished
You said you were transcoding as well, and that's likely where the time was mostly spent. 16x write speeds equate to about 22MB/s, so that definitely isn't going to take 90 minutes to complete (granted, the write speed varies as the laser moves along the radius of the disc).

Sam9707T

Estimable
Aug 29, 2014

Sorry I meant just the regular encoding process, I only said transcoding cos honestly I don't know the difference between encoding and transcoding lol (I'd imagine encoding is creating the "code" and transcoding is changing or adapting the "code") I just said whatever. I meant the entire time it takes Nero to complete the entire process from start to finish.

I hear about people burning movies in like 10 minutes which is my problem, how do people (some with worse computers than mine) burn so quickly lol, it confuses me

Thanks for the reply

Sam9707T

Estimable
Aug 29, 2014

The original file format was MP4. I simply tried to burn it using Nero's AVCHD option onto a dual layered DVD on "fit to disk" quality and it gave me an estimated time of like 10hr+ to complete.

I then burnt a different movie (700mb MP4) onto the same dual layered DVD using Nero's regular DVD setting, also on "fit to disk" quality and it took about 1hr 20min to complete the entire process. The first part (which I think is the encoding part) took about an hour and the second part (burning) took about 20mins

Thanks for the reply

Are there options other than AVCHD for burning an HD movie in Nero? Does Nero give you an estimated file size when you choose an option?

Sam9707T

Estimable
Aug 29, 2014

Yeah there are, but for Blu-Ray discs and I don't have a Blu-Ray drive so I can only use DVD's for now.
The estimated file size Nero gives me is as large as what will fit on the DVD (7.9GB) as its a dual layered DVD and I set the quality to "fit to disk", meaning that it chooses the quality accordingly to the amount of space available on the disc.

So on a dual layered DVD the quality is "Medium": as the file size is 7.9gb. If I had a larger space DVD somehow, for example, lets say a 15gb DVD exists, then the file size would be 15gb and quality would be "excellent"

My second question only regards whether a "Medium" ACVHD burn will have better quality than an "Excellent" regular DVD burn