does same size (32inch) tv but with higher res make a difference

Dh1484

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
I'm looking to get a new tv with my ps4 and unfortunately i can't get a bigger tv… i have heard or read something saying that there is no picture difference when you increase the res but keep the same size tv…. or on a small tv it makes no difference… something like that.

at the moment i have a sanyo 32inch HD LCD 1366x768 res and i was thinking of getting a samsung 32inch LED LCD HD tv with 1920x1080 res…

will there be any difference and is it worth me spending $600 on a new tv???

G

if you're happy with your current tv and really have to ask a forum to answer this question, i doubt there's a compelling reason to spend that amount of money. remember, just because others have 1080p sceens and keep bragging about them, that doesn't mean that you'd really see a big difference. also, not even the technically somehow superior PS4 will always output in 1080p, so as long as you are happy with what you've got, there really is no need to upgrade your tv.

if you're a spec-whore on the other side, and always need the best that is available, so you can feel adequate, no matter if you can even see the advantage, you better pony up for a 1080p-tv, or future-proof yourself even more, with a 4k-machine.

just my 2c.

aznricepuff

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
See this graph: http://www.rtings.com/images/optimal-viewing-distance-television-graph-size.png

It basically tells you at what TV screen sizes and viewing distances you can distinguish a difference between different commonly used resolutions (assuming you have 20/20 vision).

Based on the information you gave and the above graph, you would only perceive a difference upgrading to 1080p if you sat closer than 6 feet to your TV.

Solution

dqtl74

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
Are you aboslutely positive you cannot fit anything larger? A 40 inch TV would be a much better investment and LED technology means they're a lot thinner than they used to be.