Does the Death Grip Kill the Verizon iPhone Too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dom9360

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
The iphone 4 has almost exactly the same hardware on both carriers. The next iphone will most likely address this issue. I've played with both iphones, and there isn't much of a difference aside from the software upgrade. Well, there is that no data while talking "feature." I'm waiting for the next release, hopefully, coming soon. That's where the action will be. It will be interesting to see if Apple will make a "world" phone where all bands will be integrated so as not to make different models for each network.

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
[citation][nom]silver565[/nom]I don't see how changing network affects the hardware death grip.I love americans and their conclusions[/citation]

The Verizon iPhone has been updated slightly from the iPhone 4 on AT&T's network. A natural question to ask would be: "Did Apple end up fixing the reception problem in their refreshed iPhone they're selling for Verizon's network?"

Your conclusion about Americans is pure irony.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Wow I've always poked fun at this iPhone 4 problem without really understanding exactly what the death grip looks like. I've always held my cell phone (not an iPhone, let alone version 4) like this supposed death grip only because it was comfortable to do so. I have big hands. Having that said, I'm glad I didn't waste my money on an iPhone 4 with AT&T or Verizon. I'm looking toward a cell phone with Android 3.0 on it, which isn't out yet, but I'm not in a big hurry, as my Omnia works fine still.

mianmian

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Anandtech.com reviewed the Verizon Iphone4, They found that the grip tightly will reduce signal about 10db, which is about the same as many other phones. AT&T Iphone4's signal drops 15db, which is know as the death grip.

songemu

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Anandtech's review is far more in-depth and useful... At least he actually measure the dB drop. It's reduced from the original iPhone 4, and reasonable compared to that or other smartphones.

G

[citation][nom]dom9360[/nom]^^^^ Sorry guys, posted multiple times by accident.[/citation]
Shame on you!

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]silver565[/nom]I don't see how changing network affects the hardware death grip.I love americans and their conclusions[/citation]

It wasn't the change of carriers that made people think it would be solved. Its the fact that the iPhone 4 has been out over 6 months and has ahd the known issue which would mean you would think Apple would try to actualy solve the issue.

Nothing to do with Americans jumping to the wrong conclusion. Its the right conclusion to jump to. That they would try to fix it.

But I wouldn't expect Apple to. I expected them to just take the iPhone 4 and add CDMA to it. They are a pretty bad company. Not like Intel who is recalling all the bad chipsets even though the majority of users wont see the issue. Thats what a good company does.

Apple probably still sees the cover as a fix when its really just a temporary patch.

mediv42

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008

You think we're so different? The difference is that I'm not going to assume everyone in your country is an ignorant, condescending a-hole just because of you.
Is that a poor conclusion too?

Getting tired of comments like that being socially acceptable, so long as they're against americans. By the way, they could easily have sent verizon a new hardware revision.

oncall

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
So to summarize:
1) The laws of physics still apply (I am indeed relieved to hear this).
2) The problem is still fodder for useless articles pointing out the laws of physics still apply.

oncall

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Why would Apple "fix" the problem in the iPhone 5? As has already been demonstrated the problem is reproducible, to a greater or lesser degree, with any cell phone. Since Apple cannot change the way physics works in cell phone (wouldn't that be magical?) and bloggers will be running home with their fresh out of the box iPhone 5 to re-demonstrate that the laws of physics are unchanged, Apple might as well continue doing what it is doing: Ignoring the bloggosphere and selling mountains of cell phones.

G

All the stories on this had me worried... Given the horrible A&TT service in my area, proximity sensor issues Apple couldn't seem to fix, the lack of option to use my iPhone 4 without the bumper... was just about to give up on iPhone for something android.

So glad I waited it out for Verizon.

I have zero attenuation problems.

Service has been excellent (one bar off full in both my home and office, while my AT&T iphone 4 is one bar off no signal). Off to eBay my AT&T iPhone now...

Now I can user interface, the plethora of apps, enjoy the phone's aesthetic ALL WHILE BEING A PHONE!!!

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009

And because of this article, you jump to a conclusion about all Americans. Yea, that totally wasn't an ironic, douchebag comment.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]It's a different design moron. No it is NOT the same hardware if you had actually done any research before sounding like an idiot you'd know the baseband chip is different which will be compatible with Verizon's LTE network. What the hell does a modified antenna have to do with Verizon's network compatibly? My fiance has Verizon's iPhone and it works great. I'll be getting the LTE version when it comes out this fall. She just had to have it now..lol[/citation]
Listen, smart pants, the design is the same. The fact that the baseband chip is different does not mean $hit. The design flaw is still there and has nothing to do with the chip itself, it's related to your smart skin shorting the metallic case and changing he impedance (look that term up, it's there somewhere) of the antenna. That's because the case is the antenna, and therefore if you touch it and short out the 2 ends with your skin, it changes it's electrical properties. If you don't believe me, get an internal TV antenna and start touching the metallic parts together and see what happens. It's all there in the physics, if you had enough sense to look it up instead of calling someone a moron.

longshotthe1st

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
You have a problem with Americans? What country are you from?

Status
Not open for further replies.