Does the "input" amperage matter on a charging adaptor?

Cording_to

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015
I'm looking for another charging adaptor for my laptop. I found one on eBay and it's a match. The "output" volts, amperage and polarity is a perfect match, as well as the wattage. However the "input" on the adapter has a different amperage. Mine is 2.5a, the one on eBay is 2.15a. Does that matter?

Solution
Input amps/volts don't matter in the slightest. Only thing that matters is the output and with laptop chargers, if the voltage is correct you can ostensibly move up to as much as 1.5x the amperage and not run into issues.

Energy is never lost, it's only converted, so the difference between the input and output is a measure of efficiency. What's 'lost' in translation almost always ends up as only 1 thing, heat. With a lower proportion of 'lost', it only means the new charger won't get quite as warm as the old one.

Karadjgne

Distinguished
Herald
Input amps/volts don't matter in the slightest. Only thing that matters is the output and with laptop chargers, if the voltage is correct you can ostensibly move up to as much as 1.5x the amperage and not run into issues.

Energy is never lost, it's only converted, so the difference between the input and output is a measure of efficiency. What's 'lost' in translation almost always ends up as only 1 thing, heat. With a lower proportion of 'lost', it only means the new charger won't get quite as warm as the old one.

Solution