Does the iphone carry the same build quality as a macbook pro?

jbourne84

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
I dont own a mac book pro, i think they are just too expensive. But i do think that they have amazing build quality for their size/weight and if money wasnt an issue i would definitely get one and throw windows on it.

So when it comes to getting a smart phone, getting an iphone seems to be a great way to enjoy Apples R&D without spending more than a similar android phone, such as the galaxy s3.

So in your opinion, does the iphone have that same top-notch, dialed build quality when compared to its competors in the same say that the macbook pro does when compared to other PC laptops?

Solution
I have a very mixed household. My wife has macs, I'm a windows guy. Between the two of us, we have had every single iPhone model, plus a mix of iPods, and other Apple hardware. I can't speak for Android, other than the custom Andriod that runs on the Kindle Fire.

That said, I have had to perform several repairs with my wife's macbook. Apple uses the same OEM vendors for its parts as a lot of other brands so the quality of internal components is pretty much the same.

The good things about macbooks (from my own experience): excellent trackpad, excellent screen quality, very good battery life, and I've never had to re-install OSX to "freshen it up" after many years of running (though I can say the exact same thing about my Win7 PC)...
i would call the build quality about equal.

apple products just look pretty on the outside.

---

android is not as polished but it gives a huge amount of freedom. apple is polished but highly restricts what its users can and can not do with their phones.

for example... i bet the iphone users wish they could change the battery or add a sd card to their phone!

jbourne84

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
I undrstand the differences in the OS but i guess thats not what im talking about, i think im more talking about general stability.

To your point, i kind of feel like apple products dont just look pretty on the outside, maybe im just mistaken (and as i say, i dont own a mac, just know people who do). But i feel like with laptops, there are certain things like quality keyboard, or a track pad that never seems to have issues, hardware compatibility, or even just reliable drivers. Whereas with windows/PC all of these types of things can be an issue if you dont watch out or know how to deal with them.

I know people with droid phones (no idea which) that have freezing issues occasionally and i wonder if the iphone, like the mac book pro, is just a more stable machine in general.

rwpritchett

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I have a very mixed household. My wife has macs, I'm a windows guy. Between the two of us, we have had every single iPhone model, plus a mix of iPods, and other Apple hardware. I can't speak for Android, other than the custom Andriod that runs on the Kindle Fire.

That said, I have had to perform several repairs with my wife's macbook. Apple uses the same OEM vendors for its parts as a lot of other brands so the quality of internal components is pretty much the same.

The good things about macbooks (from my own experience): excellent trackpad, excellent screen quality, very good battery life, and I've never had to re-install OSX to "freshen it up" after many years of running (though I can say the exact same thing about my Win7 PC).

What I HATE about Apple: proprietary power cable (my wife's macbook has been through 3 of them... the last one I bought is a chinese knockoff that cost 1/10th what apple wants and works just fine), upgrade-ability is limited especially with the new macs and their soldered RAM and CPU's, and I'm not a fan of their walled-garden approach to software.

BTW, my iPhone 4S freezes up occasionally, and the original iPhone and iPhone 3G were both complete turds. Again, this is my personal experience.

At the end of the day, it really just comes down to whether or not you like OSX or Windows, iOS or Andriod on the software side. With respect to hardware, anyone who claims Apple has better quality is just drinking the iKoolaid. Samsung is a good example. They make excellent Andriod phones. Samsung also manufactures components that go into the iPhone.

Solution