[DONE] Tesla Model S is the Electric Car of Our Dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
This car is actually usable except for a trip; 484KM is plenty for the work week. Replacement batteries are under 500 bucks!

What’s the catch? OHHH The price tag which isn’t mentioned…. I will bet it costs more than $60,000

"The Tesla Model S will have a 300 mile (484 km) range from its 8,000-cell “removable” battery pack."

"A 220V outlet will fully charge the Model S in four hours."

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Well its certainly good enough looking...

[citation][nom]lightscapes[/nom]$500 for a replacement battery pack? Could this be a typo?[/citation]

Thats what i was thinking, arent car battery packs more expensive? Even the ones for hybrids, which use much smaller packs, cost more than that.

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
they are probably using new technology? it cant be a typo, im sure they thought the same thing when writing the review and double checked. batteries are getting more and more sophisticated each year, we just don't see it. Tesla probably took one of these new technologies and will go far with it.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Wow one of the best looking electric cars I've seen yet.I hope they can get the price down and a few more battery breakthroughs to get range up and the recharge time down.

Marcus Yam

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]lightscapes[/nom]$500 for a replacement battery pack? Could this be a typo?[/citation]
My apologies. It was also written as $5000 at Autoblog until recently corrected. We've updated the article to reflect the new information.

mightymax

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
+Want
That is a nice looking vehicle. Seats seven? Looks deceptively sleek, I'm guessing it's actually a fairly long body despite its Audi like qualities.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
300 a week is more than plenty. I don't drive 300 every two weeks. That would be great. Plug in the car to charge every 14 days or so and not have to worry about it. Great design too.

ZeroTech

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
Looks amazing. An excellent step towards better cars that appeal to the public. Next step is to make more efficient and faster charging batteries.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
While still need a car with better range...hey I live in boonies that and I love to take road trips...this is by far the best looking electric car I have ever seen. Great performance and like the idea of a removable battery pack. Keep it up Tesla Motors!!!!

martin0642

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Mix this with the new nano-battery tech listed earlier that charges in 1 minute (and about 10 220v 30a circuits) and you have me sold, provided you can cram that much power in at once without it melting your battery.

Want. Funny thing is that this company needs no bailout, but it deserves funding more than all the rest. Sold out till 2010.

G

$5000 every 10yrs isn't all that bad considering what you would spend in that time on a standard vehicle. Also that charge range is fairly standard as well. My concern is the range dropping as the cells degrade (well before the stated 10yrs) with longer charge cycles. Still the beauty of swapable battery packs will mean you can just slot in better tech as it becomes available. i know it still needs to get the juice from the grid so it is far from zero emissiond (probably even more than standard), but if everyone had electric vehicles, it would be easier to simply upgrade powerplants with green tech then all of the infrastructure will be green.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
This car is one step closer to the car I will buy. Tesla has said the will start high end and slowly make new vehicles that cost roughly 1/2 of what the previous one cost.
Tesla Roadster - $100,000
Model S - $50,000
My first electric car (unannounced name and details) - $25,000

Important suggestion to all! - If this company goes public you should buy their stock. They get tons of media attention and at $50,000 a lot more people can afford them. When the release thier $25,000 car MANY, MANY more people will be able to afford this car at that point this company will grow extremely fast and you'll be able to cash in like it's the microsoft of cars.

firemage

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
I don't see a Ford Blue oval anywhere, lacking what stands out boldly on the electric car of my dreams.

Disclaimer - i live in Michigan, and my very livelihood is dependent on Ford.

-Gabe

aalkema

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
I've never been much of an environmentalist... but what do you do with the batteries when the car it's dead? It seems like a massive hunk of poison after that.

bria5544

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
[citation][nom]aalkema[/nom]I've never been much of an environmentalist... but what do you do with the batteries when the car it's dead? It seems like a massive hunk of poison after that.[/citation]

Great thing about LithIon batteries, they're over 90% recyclable. This car is going to sell thousands and thousands, if they can get over initial quality issues the roadster ran into. I would be more than happy buying this over a 5 series BMW, or an M3, if it has the handling it looks like it should have. If GM and Ford don't get it together, they'll be replaced with a better and smarter company. I think those two will get it together as long as they can get over this bump in the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.