News Don't use PS5 or Xbox Series X for video streaming — here’s why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 2022
I've used every streaming device known to man and have the latest LG smart tv. Streaming from an Xbox is superior in pretty much every way possible and worth whatever extra energy it uses to do so.

Oct 21, 2022
Don't know where this guy is getting his info from but his wattage can not be accurate. I can see the XBOX1X using more wattage than a Chromecast because it has fans, video card etc and initially it might spike but once it's streaming then the wattage should go down like the amps do. Also, the Xbox is streaming in 4k and Atmos. The chromecast 4k streams in 1080p and Dolby surround... maybe. I find the chromecast is great for Netflix series and older stereo movies but when I'm ready to watch Tom Cruise's latest foray in trying to kill himself... the XBOX1X if far superior. The only thing that would surpass that would be to get a dedicated 4K disc player and run via the disk. Way better sound. Also, what, the Xbox is 10x the size of chromecast? But, all of that "suggests" the Xbox to be superior.

Wampdog29

Estimable
May 11, 2019
Don't know where this guy is getting his info from but his wattage can not be accurate. I can see the XBOX1X using more wattage than a Chromecast because it has fans, video card etc and initially it might spike but once it's streaming then the wattage should go down like the amps do. Also, the Xbox is streaming in 4k and Atmos. The chromecast 4k streams in 1080p and Dolby surround... maybe. I find the chromecast is great for Netflix series and older stereo movies but when I'm ready to watch Tom Cruise's latest foray in trying to kill himself... the XBOX1X if far superior. The only thing that would surpass that would be to get a dedicated 4K disc player and run via the disk. Way better sound. Also, what, the Xbox is 10x the size of chromecast? But, all of that "suggests" the Xbox to be superior.

The Chromecast 4k is kinda iffy with casting in 4k for sure, but the Chromecast with Google TV (4k) is absolutely hands down better than any console. It has HDR matching AND framerate matching with true 4K.

Oct 22, 2022
Streaming Disney+ on Xbox looks better than any other device I've seen it allows high bitrate 4k streams to be watched due to DRM compatibility, not even PC looks this good last time I checked

Jayrod64

Honorable
Jul 11, 2017
Gonna have to disagree on this one. He's only looking at power consumption, not performance. Yes next gen consoles draw a lot of power, but they don't draw as much as a high end gaming PC. The CPUs in these consoles also have amazing performance for video streaming, because it's extremely smooth even at 4K 60 FPS. They use AMD Zen 2 CPUs, primarily 8 core 16 thread versions (probably Ryzen 7 3700X equivalent). I've done plenty of video streaming on the PS5, and the performance is always solid. On my gaming PC with a Ryzen 7 5800X and RTX 3080 Ti, it's perfect. Even on the Xbox Series S, video streaming is still really good.

Oct 22, 2022
I use my lg smart tvs apps and they seem fine to me. But mostly because I don't want to waste the life span of my precious Xbox watching mostly drivel 😂

Oct 22, 2022
I use Netflix almost every night on console and constantly get told "frame rate matching is enabled" for this program.
And the quality is in amazing 4k hdr or whatever that said show is formatted in.
It can only play things in what is available.
But it looks way better streaming off my xbox than my smart TV or 4k rogers TV box. It also depends on your Tvs capabilities what so don't blame the console for certain Tvs inadequacies.

Oct 23, 2022
What a completely garbage article. Holy molly. Why don't you tell people to not use TVs too? Use your phone instead, it consumes even less power.

Nightseer

Estimable
Jun 9, 2020
Nothing unexpected gete, obviously dedicated streaming device with way weaker processor and less hardware will consumer less power. Though you might be going into other extreme to where quality of stream and all features won't be on pair due to device being way weaker in terms of hardware. While it would be nice if consoles could enter low power mode for streaming, those big chips still will consume way more power compared to low power chip in dedicated device with only small fraction of processing power. But I guess they could "park" or in other words turn off most of the cores and also do similar with graphic card ti conserve more power. Some things like SSD controller probably couldn't be powered off. Also this could hurt snappiness, which us the thimg current generation is about. Plus you can imagine consoles as more of PC like in terms of power consumption, like PC streaming also won't consume that small amount, like only graphic card abd CPU can easily add to 60W+ idle on desktop, even with all power saving features enabled.

But if you really want to minimize power and are ok with some features missing and other compromises, there is nothing wrong with having Chromecast device or something else. In the end that is built to be low power consumption device while on console, main purpose is gaming, streaming is more of secondary function and they don't want to compromise former to make latter use less energy. Though at this point, I would question if it isn't better to have just TV that supports streaming, so you aren't powering two devices, even if in case of Chromecast it is peanuts worth or power.

Status
Not open for further replies.