DPC Watchdog Violation bsod error on windows 10

mar2367

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015
Hi everyone, I have had a problem with this since I bought my new laptop (HP Envy to be exact) Tuesday and its getting on my nerves.

So basically the error I'm constantly getting is the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION error, this is really annoying and it could happen at any moment to me while on the computer. I have all my drivers updated and stuff as well as followed the battery/energy option such as unchecking "Turn on fast startup" and "sleep" options, but still no luck. Also checked my computer for malware and there was nothing.

Hopefully there isn't faulty hardware in the laptop I bought?

Does anyone know what the problem could be here? This problem is really getting on my nerves and hopefully it can be resolved.

Thank you.

johnbl

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
I would be looking at any usb devices on your machine and the BIOS version info.
particularly if you use a USB wireless thumb device.

Bugs in the BIOS cause the USB devices not to work correctly, you plug a USB device in, the plug and play detect it and starts to install a driver, the driver installs fails, the Plug and play detect that you don't have a driver and tries to install the driver again. OVER AND OVER.
at some point the system thinks the CPU core is hung and shuts down the machine with a bugcheck.

There are other causes but this is pretty common.
To actually figure out the problem you have to change the memory dump type to kernel memory dump, then bugcheck the system and have someone look at the memory dump.

best to try and update the BIOS, USB 3.0 drivers and CPU chipset drivers from your motherboard vendor as a first attempt at a fix.
Then install the updated USB driver for the failing device. (various issues with that because devices are hidden from view if removed and can still cause this bugcheck after you remove the hardware)

mar2367

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015
Sorry for the late reply, I recently updated my processor's drivers and no luck there. Quick question, what is the procedure I need to take to update the BIOS on my PC as well as change my memory dump to a kernel one? I'm starting to think my problem may be relating to that.

johnbl

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
update the BIOS and see if you still have problems. If you still have problems, then change the memory dump type to kernel and try to get a memory dump. The kernel memory dump will have the proper info to debug USB related problems. Often a root cause of this particular bugcheck, will be a USB driver failing to load via Plug and play hangs a CPU core.