Drivers and Re-installation?

alyssadawn34

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Hello,
HOW do I re-install drivers to a dell laptop that after turning it on, now, goes immediately to a screen that says no primary disc drive 0 found., then, Try F1 to re-boot or try F2 for set-up utility. ? I was told I might have to re-install drivers. I've downloaded drivers onto a disc, but now, I'm lost.?

bribry58

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011

was the laptop running normally before or did you reinstall the operating system and now geting the disk error?

alyssadawn34

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

I've never had problems with this computer- windows xp-- . I left it on-- didn't completely shut it down two nights go. When I tried to start it up the next day, the DELL screen appears then immediately goes to black screen with the message: primary disc drive 0 not found.................. It isn't making noises-- well a few beeps here and there ... and it WAS spinning yesterday when I kept trying to start it up. . I cannot get into windows at all. Simply, this first screen-- after trying to press F1 to re-try boot up, it replies, no boot up devices found. My only option is the set-up untility screen(s). So-- I did download a lot of drivers to a disc. I don't even know if there is a specific disc I would need to use-- if I do somehow get on the right track.. so, re-installing windows -- would this be the next best thing to do? Should I buy a new Hard drive? Computer ?

alyssadawn34

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

It was running normally, until two nights ago when I didn't shut it down completely. I just read somewhere that I may need to re-install my drivers. It seems to me as if I need to re-install windows and possibly replace the hard drive...?

bribry58

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011

humm you mentioned you didnt completely shut it down...humm what do you mean..you didnt properly shut it down???

ok well it is what it is so here is my suggestion

ok sounds like windows failed in some way or worse the hd is failing. I would try system recovery if you have the dell restore cd but do you have your data backed up? if not you might want to try to fix the prob afterwards.

1st-try chkdsk/r in safe mode
to do this, when powering up the pc, start hitting the F8 key until you see the bootmenu and select safe mode with command prompt. at the prompt type chkdsk/r and hit enter (you might have to reboot to get the program to run)

BTW you have your data backed up rt??