DROID X, DROID 2 Won't Allow Custom ROMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
It's like mototola are going BACKWARDS.. why the hell would you give up freedom? oh yeah..
"Securing the software on our handsets"

who cares.. so you don't want your software to be removed or improved upon..

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]DAK_59[/nom]Motorola makes the device. They can lock it if they want. If you don't like it, don't buy it.[/citation]
+1

besides, moto is encouraging us to get other devices, like the N1 and the others... We better listen.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I don't get it. Is Motorola blind? By using Android you signed up for the Open Handset Alliance. It's exactly that, OPEN. Not closed, you numbnuts at Motorola...

fiduce

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Ok, I was sold ... but this has changed my mind.
I will NEVER by ANYTHING from a company that acts that way.

NeeKo

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Locking things works pretty good for Apple, they are giving a shot. Sadly their consumers arent as blind as Apple fanbois are.

nicklasd87

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I think this is because by rooting the phone you can bypass some things you would normally need to pay for with a Verizon contract, specifically tethering, which would normally cost an extra 20 bucks a month. Rooting the phone allows users to tether without the extra cost. I was totally going to take advantage of that with the Droid X too...

G

They're doing this to allow Verizon to sell value-add options like wifi tethering. If you can hack the rom you can get that free.

war2k9

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
This action might hurt you Motorola for market shares. I will wait to see what winmo will offer before i buy a smartphone.

G

Get a Palm phone, they're so open that you don't even have to install custom ROMs in order to have new functions.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
android confuses me a bit:

ok, so WHY do you need custom ROMS? am I right in assume that the 'ROM' is pretty much the OS? and moto modify the base android OS so they have custom UI and apps and shit? and thats why moto has to specifically implement any update to the core OS that google releases? BUT after 3.0, google isn't going to let any of the manufactures modify their base OS anymore? so they can supply updates to EVERYONE all at once?

can you still run apps from any source on the moto ROM? or is it android marketplace only? why would any apps be ROOT-Only? what extra functionality do you gain by ROOTING a device?

like... I always assumed Android was like a desktop OS, like even Mac OSX lets you do what ever you want with all the hardware? whats different in android?

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I was so disappointed with my Motorola 918 that I vowed never to buy another of their phones, and along came android. With my contract with Verizon ending next month, I was reading up on the Droid X. Thanks Tom's for this article, no Moto for me. I think I will start reading up on the HTC phones.

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
wow im surprised i like the moto cliq, but i guess i might stay away from future motorola phones, i got burned by htc so kind of didnt want to go that way but i guess g1 is ok, though the cliq is like improved g1 just wish it has as big of a keyboard and that .1" screen which you cant really tell lol

either way ill be sticking with devices i can flash custom roms that get rid of bloated stuff and can make improvements after the manufactur desides to ditch the device even if its fully capable of running new os...

locked ROMS are like if you had windows installed and you couldnt change things around and only d/l software that was at an app store, i think u would get pretty pissed off quick

or its like trying to run a embedded os on your desktop :p

its been proven time and time again that custom roms rock or have the potentional vs stock, i have yet to see someone make custom rom that fails and stock is better LOL

alphadark

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I have a Droid and I haven't felt the need to Root it. My phone is one of the few things in life that I don't try to OC or over customized. From reading the comments it seems like this is a pretty big thing though, maybe Moto should back down from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.