DROID X Wins Victory in Android Battery Shootout

Status
Not open for further replies.

iboomer

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
I guess I don't understand why they decided to turn off all of the stuff that I run all the time? It's nice the the DroidX has such a long battery life, but what about when I am running my bluetooth, and at a WiFi, cruising the net?

I just don't get it.

G

I'm wondering why the Epic did better than its other Galaxy S brethren... it's pretty much the same phone with the same screen and same processor, but with added stuff like 4G radio and keyboard. Whats going on there?

ivan_chess

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
[citation][nom]tidoubleger[/nom]So the evo lasts 5:27 or -1:26?[/citation]

I believe that is 5 hours 27 minuets vs. 5 hours 34 minuets.

yose3

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
my vibrant can last 2 day with out charging playing games watching videos and surfing. when i go to work fully charged when i coem back home is 90% batery

exodite

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]OMG I cannot believe how horrible Android is for battery life.[/citation]
It's got nothing to do with the OS really, no current smartphones last very long under the testing methodology used. You did read the source link, right? Notice how they are running a script to open the browser and load one of 60 different sites, stay on it for a minute, close the browser and reopen another of the sites for 60 seconds and so on until the battery died.

This over 3G too.

The reason why AMOLED does worse in this test is probably due to many website backgrounds are white, something which requires a lot more power from an AMOLED display than the common black or darker backgrounds of the phone screen.

mosu

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
to exodite:good point, good understanding.
a really interesting test would be if they use the same battery on each phone in the same test, at least 3 different batteries from different suppliers (with some kind of adapter, of course)

shaneaus

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
@otacon72 - LOL!!!! Seriously?!? In the test the devices were running the ENTIRE TIME. My DX runs all day just fine with moderate usage - phone calls, lots of texting, some website browsing, some maps usage, etc.

If you turned your new BB, prevented the screen from turning of and loaded web site after web site over and over again for five hours.... Bet your BB would have little to no battery power as well. I should know I gave my BB Curve to my wife when the G1 came out.

My Android device's capabilities kick BB's A$$ coming and going. My wife got the DroidX along with me. She was an avid BB fan and only made the switch at my pushing. Her comment yesterday and again today:

"WOW, I LOVE MY PHONE! This is the best device I have ever owned!" She said that with some surprise... LOL!

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]OMG I cannot believe how horrible Android is for battery life.[/citation]Did you know that your BB isn't exactly in the same league? BB's are phones for users that want to read emails. iPhones for those that want to game (Android is getting there, but not yet). Android phones are for everything those mentioned before do (a little bit from each).

os2baba

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
[citation][nom]nmezib[/nom]I'm wondering why the Epic did better than its other Galaxy S brethren... it's pretty much the same phone with the same screen and same processor, but with added stuff like 4G radio and keyboard. Whats going on there?[/citation]

I think that's a very good point. Unless satisfactorily answered, this puts the findings in doubt.

poseidon2112

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
"If you turned your new BB, prevented the screen from turning of and loaded web site after web site over and over again for five hours.... Bet your BB would have little to no battery power as well. I should know I gave my BB Curve to my wife when the G1 came out."

Totally wrong. I'll take my blackberry over any of these phones anyday. I can take my blackberry camping and it will last from Friday morning until sunday afternoon without charging so long as I don't use it for too many multimedia applications and I remember to turn off bedside mode. Normally, (with bedside mode on so the screen always shows the time) moderate surfing, some music, phone calls and texting, I can usually miss a night of charging and my phone will work for most of the next day.

As for it not being in the same league? maybe not, but i use it for games, tv shows, playing music, surfing the internet and a navigation system. What more would I want to do?

G

The biggest flow I see here is the way the test is done: it's actually testing the screens consumption. But have they set the same way ? NO ! 25% on amoled and 25% on LCD are not the same... They should have been set to provide the same level of brightness MESURED...
The second flow is the test itself: do you use your smartphone to display a fixed image ? NO ! You use it to call, use 3g and wifi... websurf, send emails... and this is exactly what is NOT TESTED...

Let's make a comparison: this test is like comparing idling gaz consumption of cars... interesting but doesn't give any clue on the actual mpg of a car.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I don't want to be "that guy" but for some reason Apple is still handing a beat down to Android in terms of battery life. The iPhone 4 can last two hours longer than the Droid X. Apple doesn't have any special battery tech so is their OS just more battery efficient?

Also, I'd like to see tests with BlackBerry as well. From my experiences BlackBerry takes the take.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Talking of battery life, i own a Samsung galaxy S I9000 phone with a 4"Super AMOLED screen, it runs 2+days with normal use, casual net activities, normal phone talk and a few pictures and other. During the night it uses like 3-4% of the battery.

If i use it more often for internet, and other applications+ talking i have to recharge it at the end of the day but usually it lasts 1.5days with a 1400 mA battery.
The batteryes of these phones do not last that much because of the internal components and big display.

(2005)Who would imagine that in 5 years i will have a mobile phone that has the best 1GHz CPU on the market?

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Forgot to mention that 3g is disabled and background data as well, only used for short periods when needed.(1500mA battery..not 1400)

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
I compared a Galaxy S with my iPhone 4 in an AT&T store yesterday and the Galaxy S' screen is crap. The AMOLED pixel arrangement cause small text to look fuzzy and the "white" is too green.

AMOLED is about 2 years behind TN panel LCD and 4 years behind IPS LCD.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Well cock, there goes my plans to buy the Galaxy S when it comes to Verizon... I would have liked to see how the phones fared with two tests alternating between 0% brightness and 100% brightness, you could create a delta that indicated what each percent was costing your battery life.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]I don't want to be "that guy" but for some reason Apple is still handing a beat down to Android in terms of battery life. The iPhone 4 can last two hours longer than the Droid X. Apple doesn't have any special battery tech so is their OS just more battery efficient?Also, I'd like to see tests with BlackBerry as well. From my experiences BlackBerry takes the take.[/citation]

Blackberry's sole advantage is their data push technique that only sends stuff to the phone when it's needed instead of all the time. I have a BB that will run for 5 days straight if I literally do nothing with it but check the time, but as soon as I start browsing, calling, etc. it goes to about 1 day of practical use.

Status
Not open for further replies.