Dropped Laptop Wont Boot

Vipin_Singh

Commendable
Mar 7, 2016
So yesterday my brother dropped my acer travelmate 4740 and since then it wont boot. Although i am able to boot into ubuntu using live usb but when i try to mount my hdd into ubuntu, it wont mount. I'v also tried using windows system repair but it doesnt work either. I think im looking at a faulty HDD. In ubuntu to it says the drive works OK with 47 bad sectors. I don't know what to do. Please help...

Solution
Hi there Vipin_Singh,

Unfortunately, I would also say that the HDD sustained some physical damage. In that case, if the data stored on the drive is crucial, my suggestion would be to contact a data recovery company.

If you don't really wanna go with the data recovery company option, you can try to access the drive with some other data recovery tools for DOS mode. Alternatively, you can take the drive out and attach it to another system as a secondary drive(either externally or internally) and use some OS based data recovery tool: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1644496/lost-data-recovery.html

Let us know in case you have some more questions,
D_Know_WD :)

_Blink

Estimable
Jan 20, 2016
Yeah, dropping a laptop would likely destroy the HDD or the screen.

They are the most vulnerable parts when it comes to dropping.
You'll probably just have to get a new HDD for the laptop :)

There might be other damage, that you will only notice later on.
But what you've mentioned is definitely HDD damage. :(

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there Vipin_Singh,

Unfortunately, I would also say that the HDD sustained some physical damage. In that case, if the data stored on the drive is crucial, my suggestion would be to contact a data recovery company.

If you don't really wanna go with the data recovery company option, you can try to access the drive with some other data recovery tools for DOS mode. Alternatively, you can take the drive out and attach it to another system as a secondary drive(either externally or internally) and use some OS based data recovery tool: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1644496/lost-data-recovery.html

Let us know in case you have some more questions,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution